Author Topic: Mere Knoll Cemetery, SUNDERLAND  (Read 18808 times)

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
Re: Mere Knoll Cemetery, SUNDERLAND
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 August 08 21:08 BST (UK) »
Wearsider,
Thank you so much. i have wrote all your information down & i will take it with me.

Regards Susan :)
Names: Boggon, Beardsley, Coulthard, Thomas, Tate, Smart, Stark, Ridley, Hudson, Hardy, Lloyd, Curry, Fairclough, Thompson, Allen, Simon, Jones, Hunter.
Areas: Durham, Northumberland, Staffs, Shropshire, Lancashire, Scotland,Wales, Ireland

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 August 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Susan - I apologise that some information was missing from my previous post - buses 23 amd 24 go to Seaburn Dene.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 August 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Thank you so much for all the information. I am going to phone the civic centre on Mon to see if they know if there is a headstone.  I have the grave number.  Do you think they will know?

Regards Susan
Names: Boggon, Beardsley, Coulthard, Thomas, Tate, Smart, Stark, Ridley, Hudson, Hardy, Lloyd, Curry, Fairclough, Thompson, Allen, Simon, Jones, Hunter.
Areas: Durham, Northumberland, Staffs, Shropshire, Lancashire, Scotland,Wales, Ireland

Offline Wearsider

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 August 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Susan - they should know from their records.   Give them as much informattion as you can - names, dates etc and see how they respond.

Do you know the Ward number by any chance?

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 August 08 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
This is what i have:
Robert Reay d. August 1884 age 81, Mary Reay d. 10/5/1871 age 64.  Grave no. 1193.
Im doing this for a friend who lives further down the country. Im in Houghton.

Thanks again. Susan

Offline Wearsider

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 August 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Susan - Mere Knolls Cemetery was set up by the Monkwearmouth Burial Board and there were only grave numbers allocated so it is not clear which ward the grave is in unless you access the Burial Records in Sunderland Local Studies.

It was in later years when the cemetery was under the control of Sunderland Borough Council that Ward Numbers came into use.

There has been work done on the transcription of headstones and this may well have produced some guidelines as to grave numbers and wards but I don't have any information like that.  It may be worth your while enquiring at the LDS Library in Sunderland to see if they have any information that will help.

Wearsider.
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline MontyW57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Is Wearsider Alan still around as I have a relative buried in Mere Knolls cemetary but have no way to get there as I am in Los Angeles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Offline Wearsider

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete - yes I am still around.

I have not been able to visit Mere Knolls cemetery for some months now due to my wife being unwell, however I hope to go there in the next few weeks if at all possible.

If you are able to obtain the Ward and Grave number from either the Sunderland Local Studies Library or possibly even from the Cemeteries Department then let me know this and I will see what I can do.  The Cemeteries Department usually refer enquiries to the Local Studies Library who have microfilm records of the Burial registers.

Wearsider.
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline MontyW57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 November 14 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Glad to hear that you're still with us and hope that your wife is better soon.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to obtain the ward and grave numbers online?

Cheers

Pete