Author Topic: Hodgsons Buildings  (Read 18944 times)

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgsons Buildings
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Nice one Neil  ;D I looked at a google earth image and compared to an old map image it looks like two thirds of it was demolished. I can see were the roof line changes.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I've just been looking through the postings. Have you thought of checking newspapers? As he might have died from the result of an accident, I think an inquest would have to be held, usually within 2 or 3 days of the death.

Regards,
Colin

Offline ThompJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Thanks for the idea. Do you know of any online newspaper archives? Unfortunately I'm not local so I'm relying on the internet until we can organise a holiday in the NE.
I have checked the TWAS & Durham Mining Museum sites.

Regards

Dave
Smith, Epsom/Wandsworth/Tooting, Wing, Epsom/Sussex, Street, Langford, Baldwin, Hertfordshire/Surrey, Brewer, Epsom, Sullivan, Epsom/Middlesex, Jackson, Sunderland/Durham, Thompson, Sunderland/Durham

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

As far as I know there are no newspapers online for the Sunderland area. TWAS might have microfilm copies, but the best bet might be a library.

Regards,
Colin

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 21:52 GMT (UK) »
the local studies centre which is in the city centre library which is in fawcett street should have something i have not got the time to look hopefully someone may be going there. regards neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Dave

I finally got on familysearch to check 1881 census, Its been a right pain tonight, it gives Ann as living at 13 and a half Hodgsons Buildings which suggests she is letting rooms to make ends meet. Do you have anything further back on this Jackson line?. The Mere Knolls burial really has me thinking. Perhaps there was a family plot there.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 22:59 GMT (UK) »
even if there was a family plot i would think an undertaker would charge a fair bit to go over to mere knolls and did they have the means to pay.we all know what they charge now.
regards neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
i was going to go round the sheepfolds today but the weather is naff so i will wait till its a bit brighter there are still 2 school buildings over that way now used by builders if the dates when they were built fits your dates i will get a photo of them to..
rgards neil

Offline ThompJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,
Thanks for taking an interest. I had noticed the half and wondered what the significance was. You are probably right that they were sub letting for an income.
I have gone back a fair way as this is my wife's direct maternal line. Ann & John's son John born 1880 is her grandfather. The John Jackson married to Ann Huggins was born in Dawdon in 1851. In the 1861 census he is 10 years old and a miner(!!)  living in Dawdon. He married Ann in Dalton-Le-Dale in 1873 and he was a miner in the Murton colliery. By 1876 when their son was born they had moved to Hodgson Buildings in Monkwearmouth and he was still a miner. The strange thing is on both his son John's birth certificate in 1880 he is shown as a Holder-Up and on his daughter Ann's marriage he is a Rivetter.
John's parents were Robert Jackson born 1829 in Easington & Hannah Roberts. They were married in 1849 in Easington he was then a pit man living at Fatten Pasture. In 1851 on John's birth cert he is a Horse Keeper at Murton Colliery.
Robert's parents were William Jackson born 1806 and Elizabeth born 1803. I believe William married a second time following Elizabeth's death in 1830. In the 1841 & 51 census he is married to Margaret. That is as far back as I have managed to get. It is frustrating that I cannot pin down that I have got the correct John who died in 1879.
Cheers
Dave
Smith, Epsom/Wandsworth/Tooting, Wing, Epsom/Sussex, Street, Langford, Baldwin, Hertfordshire/Surrey, Brewer, Epsom, Sullivan, Epsom/Middlesex, Jackson, Sunderland/Durham, Thompson, Sunderland/Durham