Author Topic: Mixed Trees Glover/Tillman & Jellis/Ellington  (Read 2747 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed Trees Glover/Tillman & Jellis/Ellington
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 Thomasin Ellington is down as the wife of Francis Wilkinson and there are 3 year old and 1 year old children so perhaps the marriage was just before civil registration began. So Henry senior probably died in the period 1833 -1837

I am glad the name of the father on the marriage record  has not put you off. I have two of my own where the name is wrong (for genuine reasons) but I didn't want to lead you down that road

I think the answer to "Jellis" may be as simple as the tree belongs to someone called Ellis and they are possibly "J Ellis"

You say addresses were given for all assumed lost crew of the INVECTA, so do you have the date of the sinking and\or the list of addresses ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 November 14 19:23 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Bessence in the marriage is intriguing. Looking at the censuses there is the following in Kent

1841 John 30 and Ann 25  with children Mary 7 and Amelia Emily 5. Surname Bossence
1851 John 44 and Ann 38 with children Mary and Amelia Emily. Surname Bessence
1861 John 54 and Ann 43 with children Mary and Amelia Emily. Surname Bossence
1871 John 64 and Ann 58 with children Mary and Amelia Emily. Surname Bossence

John and Ann are from Penzance, Cornwall (In 1871 they both say Mousehole, Cornwall). Mary is Mary Ann from Walmer, Kent and Amelia  Emily is from Margate, Kent. John does various boatwork

The only problem is Mary says she is unmarried throughout
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 November 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
INVICTA ( sorry keep mispelling, - more signs of senility - never mind will get there in the end!!)
I have the crews list for her, she was lost on the 24th/25th September 1867, sorry,didn't keep all other addresses only Peter's ( the one you mentioned ). Have passed the problem on to National Maritime, you will see why below :

The MYSTERY

1. Crew list shows all crew lost with the ship, and that was stamped three times, first in September, then the following two Months.

2. Lloyd's continue to enter the ship on the register, right thru to 1873 !!!! ( though note that the entry is exactly the same each time )- it is meant to have sunk in Sept 1867.

3. Shipwreck Mariners society paid out in that year £ 24 to members of the crew of the Invicta of Sunderland.

Lost on his wife - two names I have are 'Buskenn' & ' Bushence born in Sunderland.

Yeah also thought same as you about Father Henry, but search as may, no death registered.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 November 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
If you have passed it to the National Maritime Museum then they might come up with something, they are usually very good.

I do think Buskenn, Bushence, Bossence and Bessence  are actually all attempts at they same name which actually is not local to Kent.

Good to see the same address came up for Peter in the list