Author Topic: GRANT family in IVERK  (Read 7441 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
GRANT family in IVERK
« on: Wednesday 01 July 09 09:07 BST (UK) »
The GRANT family arrived in Iverk (that is a barony in southern Kilkenny) in Norman times, and many of them have stayed there ever since.

I am currently trying to untangle the various branches that have emerged, and if anyone is researching the Grants in Kilkenny, can they say which branches they are researching.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Pangur Ban

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRANT family in IVERK
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Does your research indicate that the GRANT family of Iverk were descended from Milo fitz David?  I have seen one source that says Yes and another that says No.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »
So what is your connection to the Grants of Iverk ?
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Pangur Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 23:40 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-grandfather Andrew Grant emigrated from Kilkenny to New York in 1849, along with his brother James.  They had probably lived at Killahy, based on Griffith's Valuation.  I haven't been able to trace them any further back, but have been reading about the origin of the Grant family in Kilkenny in Norman times, associated with the Geraldines.  I am interested in any source that confirms that the Grants descended from Milo fitz David fitz Gerald of Wales.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 09 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in any source that confirms that the Grants descended from Milo fitz David fitz Gerald of Wales. 

You are talking about events around 1200, so "confirmation" is difficult, in as much as a letter signed William Grant saying that Milo was his grandfather (or whatever) does not exist .

However you can work with "the balance of probability" and on going through all the sources I reach the conclusion that the Grants are descended from Milo. You have presumably read my web site

However the purpose of this thread is about trying to untangle the Grants who came from Iverk and who are both scattered and still in Kilkenny/Waterford. For example in your own case you need to look at the period 1650 to 1850 - whatever happened in 1200 is not going to help

I would suggest that you start a new thread of your own to discus the origins of the Grants at and before 1200 if you want to go into that. Otherwise the purpose of this thread will get watered down

My own view is that at the moment the only way to untangle the Grants today is by DNA, have you had a DNA test done by a male Grant from your line?
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Pangur Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 09 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I would like to try the DNA approach but my grandmother, Marie Grant, died in 1910 and so far I have been unable to locate living male descendants of her two brothers.  However, that does seem the best approach and I'll keep trying.

Offline Holden Kilkenny Ireland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
From Hearth Roll (tax records) 1665, Edmund Grant lived at Crobally, and Geffery Grant lived at Kilkeasy (both near Killahy townlands) hope this helps you out!

Offline mtlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I have researching my husband's family and have traced the family back to William Francis Grant, who came to the US in the mid-1800's. The information I have states that he was from Rathpatrick, Kilkenny.  Somewhere over the past 15 years, I also came across info that his father was David Grant.  Would be interested to connect the dots (so to speak) with more family in Iverk.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 21:10 BST (UK) »
Pedigree of the Grant family of counties Kilkenny and Waterford, 12th-18th cents,

GO MS 824/21    Manuscripts Reading Room, National Library of Ireland.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.