Author Topic: MACKENZIE & POLSON  (Read 15950 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: MACKENZIE & POLSON
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 April 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry Spittalhill
I cannot find a connection
Have you tried scotlandpeople

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 May 09 08:06 BST (UK) »
I have, but unfortunately Polsons are fairly common in that area, and I have not been able to positively identify her parents. They are not mentioned on the marriage entry.

Offline hamishpricenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 October 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
I am interested to read this message as it is my family.

My great great great grandmother was Flora McKenzie, sister of Alexander McKenzie who is referred to here.
My research shows that Flora was born at Navidale on 4/10/1806, daughter of Alexander McKenzie and Catherine Polson who I estimate were married about 1804. She married my great great great grandfather James Polson in 1833.

James and Flora's son John Polson (b 1836), my great grandfather, came to New Zealand in 1864 with his sister Catherine Polson. Accompanying them, were James (b.1836)and Mina McKenzie (b 1845), children of Alexander McKenzie and Janet Gordon.

John Polson married Christina Ross here in NZ in 1868 but she was from West Helmsdale

The fact that they travelled to NZ is all I know about James and Mina McKenzie - they disappear into the mist except for a reference to "Jamie McKinzie'' (sic) in a letter my great grandmother Christina Ross wrote to her mother in 1878 where she mentions they (she and John) had had a letter from James and he was coming (to Central Otago) to visit them soon.

I am interested in any correspondence about his family
Adair

Hi Adair,

John Polson (b 1836) was my great great grandfather.  His daughter Annie Alexandrina Polson was my great grandmother.  I have the following information about Annie Alexandrina:

Children of JOHN POLSON and CHRISTINA ROSS are:
    i.       RODERICK5 POLSON, b. 1868, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand.
    ii.       WILLIAM POLSON, b. 1869, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand. twin; d. 1869, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand.
    iii.       GEORGE POLSON, b. 1869, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand. twin; d. 1869, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand.
    iv.       JAMES WILLIAM POLSON, b. 1871, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand.
    v.       ANNIE ALEXANDERINA POLSON, b. May 1874, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand; m. WILLIAM PRICE, 30 April 1897, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand (Source: IGI Record.).
    vi.       CATHERINE ROSS POLSON, b. June 1876, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand.
    vii.       WILLHELMINA ALICE POLSON, b. January 1878, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand; d. 31 July 1878, Caversham, Dunedin, New Zealand. Aged 5 mos. (Source: Cemetery/Gravestone Record.).

I am interested in the Polson line, since sketchy family legend always suggested that the Polson name was Scandinavian.  I'm just initially doing some digging on this and would be interested in the information you have on the Polson family prior to 1836.

Kind regards,

Hamish Price

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 October 12 23:06 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Hamish

If you read the first posting you will see that I come from the McKenzie line of this family
I have mailed Adair who will be able to assist you as she is from the line of John Polson
please make two more postings to rootschat then I will be able to help you

As it goes Adair and I have solved the mystery of Mina McKenzie and her brother James they are my grt Aunt and Uncle

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline hamishpricenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 October 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
That is very interesting, thank you Elizabeth.  That's very helpful.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 October 12 23:51 BST (UK) »
No problem

Nice to hear from a fellow McKenzie ,Polson relative so to speak

Elizabeth from the UK

Offline Marrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hamish,
I have sent you a personal message regarding our POLSON common ancestry.

Kind regards
Adair

Offline juliepolson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 August 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Hamish

I wonder about the Wilhelmina Polson you talk about in your post. 

I also have a Wilhelmina Polson in my family (details below).  Her father was George Polson and Mother Wilhelmina McKay (Angus).  What is interesting is that George had another daughter called Alice McKenzie Polson and a son called John Sutherland Polson.  They were born in Caithness, Scotland and migrated to NZ on the Jura on 23 September 1858.  Do you think there is a relationship between our families.

Wilhelmina Polson - Date   1878 - Death Age   5/12 - Death Date   31 Jul 1878 - Burial Place   Otago, New Zealand
Cemetery   Southern