Author Topic: William McPherson  (Read 2724 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
William McPherson
« on: Wednesday 21 March 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
I'd like to know if i can get some help on my ggggrandfather please.
On the 1851 Scottish census he is a "Warder" age 52 and says he is from "Sutherlandshire".
I'm pretty sure he is the father of my known gggrandfather, James McPherson, born in Edinburgh in 1828.  I have his details well settled i believe.  He married a Mary Taylor and they emigrated to New York in the early 1850's, returned to Scotland, only to leave again but this time to Melbourne, Australia, arriving in Feb 1855 on the 'Glenmanna'.  James and Mary had 3 children with them, plus Mary's father, David Taylor.  I haven't been able to find her mother, Catherine Taylor, nee Galloway, as a co-passenger.
James' father was WILLIAM; and we conclude (rightly or wrongly) that the above man is he.  I couldn't find William on the 1861 census.  I think he died 12 Jul 1857, aged 59, according to the death record which gives his parents as James (farmer,dec'd) and Catherine McPherson, nee Munro. It's difficult to make out the informant but it is a son :  perhaps it's Alexander, Thomas or William.  James, the eldest child of William and first wife Margaret nee Heron, are now settled in Melbourne, Australia.  I don't know what village in Sutherlandshire he came from.  But i did find a no of WMc's born in Inversness between 1795-1805.  I assume as per the 1841 census that Wm McPherson is the same Warder/Tailor in The Bridewell prison.  Wm's first wife, Margaret died c1846 and Wm remarried to an Isabel Robertson, and they had a son, George. Any help would be marvellous.  Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales