Author Topic: Battson family - Upminster  (Read 2798 times)

Offline flossy393

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Battson family - Upminster
« on: Saturday 22 December 12 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for information about the Battson family who lived in Upminster in 1840 onwards (and probably earlier). My great great great grandfather was Edwin Battson born in 1851 - a farmer and his father was Israel Batson born 1821.

If you have any information about this family and would like to get in touch, that would be great.

Thanks for your help

Flora

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Battson family - Upminster
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 12 08:58 GMT (UK) »
St. Laurence Upminster

28th March, 1838
Israel Waller Batson, full age, bachelor,labourer,father Benjamin Batson,labourer
Sarah Steel,spinster of full age, no father listed
both of the parish and by banns
witnesses
Joseph Hawkins
William Batson

Israel Waller Battson
born July 8th and baptised August 8th, 1819
son of Benjamin and Mary
father a labourer.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 12 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Not much here something about one of your relation's children-

The Essex County Standard West Suffolk Gazette, and Eastern Counties Advertiser (Colchester, England), Saturday, June 16, 1900; pg. 5; Issue 3627. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

Corporal C. E Battson of the 14th (King’s) Hussars, who died of enteric at Wynberg, on June 8, was the third son of Mr. E. Battson, dealer and pork butcher of Upminster. The deceased was at the relief of Kimberley.

Tom

Offline Nigel Battson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Edwin was my great great grandfather (great grandfather was Ernest, the oldest son, who married his cousin - Edwin's niece).  As far as I know, Israel (born 1819) was one of 10 children, Edwin (born 1851) was one of 11 children and Edwin himself had 9 children.  Two of Edwin's sons, Frederick and Charles Edwin, joined the 14th Hussars and Charles was killed in South Africa.  Let me know what other names and dates you are interested in.

Nigel

Offline flossy393

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Thank you for getting in touch. I had only found 8 of Edwin's children so I had no record of your great great grandfather Ernest. If you wouldnt mind please could you send me some information about him?

Before I got married, my surname was Battson and my great great grandfather was Frederick who was in the 14th hussars so that is the connection.

Also, do you have any photos of Edwin or other members of the family - it would be lovely to see them! I have found some information about the farm they lived on in the newspapers of that time and its always nice to add more pieces to the jigsaw!

Thank you

Flora

Offline Nigel Battson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 13 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I've checked the tree and Edwin did only (!) have 8 children.  I've seen a census that misread Ernest (spelt on the cencus as Earnest) as Samual so I had an extra brother.  It's on my Genes Reunited tree so feel free to check it.  I have photos of Ernest and one of his brothers so will try to upload them to the genes tree.  My mum's also lent me a photo of Ken, Nora, Jamie and Simon she and my dad were sent with a Xmas card in 1962.  I'll try to upload that one as well!

Best wishes

Nigel

Offline ellasgran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 June 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
In Trinity United Reformed Church, Upminster [formerly Upminster Congrgational Chuirch] we have a war memorial plaque for Cpl C E Battson killed at Wynberg S A., and we are researching his background with a view to recording his life and death in a booklet that commemorates the other members of our congregation in WW1 and WW11 who were killed in action.

Apart from census records, we would be very grateful for any information that the Battson family would care to pass onto us.

By the way. the booklet will not be published but will be available for anyone who wants to read it

Offline Tracyjein

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi my mum maiden name is Battson, Hornchurch born, and is related to the Battson dairy family from Upminster