Author Topic: Charles Minards  (Read 6226 times)

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Minards
« on: Tuesday 25 January 11 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, I am trying to find the marriage certificate of Charles Minards and Margaret.  Charles was Captain of the S S Formby which was torpedoed off the coast of Ireland in 1917.  I am doing the Minard tree for a friend and she never knew that her Great Grandfather had married again, his first wife was Elizabeth and she died in Chester, England.  Charles and Margaret had a son John, at the time of the marriage they lived at 56 St Declan's 
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Charles Minards
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I clicked post before I had finished.  Charles & Margaret lived at 56 Declans Road, Newtown, Waterford. They had a son John, if anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

thanks
 :)
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Minards
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Did you think the marriage took place in Waterford? I checked civil registration index for Charles Minard/Minards and no record found anywhere in Ireland.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

The index does, however, show a birth registration for a John Dela Minards Oct./Dec.1917 Waterford registration district.

www.freebmd.org.uk shows a possible marriage- Charles Minards and a Margaret Delahunty on same page (Oct./Dec.1911 Blackburn district volume 8e page 839). Also 2 births which may be children older than John (father Minards, mother Delahunty)- Catherine F. (1913) and Marguarita (1914).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 11:19 GMT (UK) »
The two daughters are now looking even more likely. Irish civil registration index has a death for a Catherine Minards, age 7, 1920 Waterford registration district.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you haven't seen these references will post the links here-

2007 newspaper article about Captain John Dela Minards which mentions father and grandfather

Loss of SS Formby
SS Formby memorial in Waterford

Charles Minards Dead Man's Penny was for sale on ebay

Charles Minards details on CWGC site give the Waterford address you mentioned

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all that information, I did see the plaque on ebay but didn't know what it was called.  My friend will be made up.

Regards
Heather :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Fairly easy to trace because Minards isn't a Waterford name. Just realised I'd made a mistake in the FreeBMD link I posted earlier which I've now corrected.

Offline Franko1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this and obviously late in responding.
Charles Minards was married to my Grandad's (Patrick Gough) first cousin, Margaret (Peg) Delahunty. Their daughter, Retta (christened Marguerita) was a dear family member, as was their son, Capt. John. Auntie Peg was left with 3 young kids when her husband was killed. She remained very anti-German to her dying day. I vaguely remember her as a very old lady in a nursing home. I recall John telling me that he met his half-siblings when he moved to England in the Merchant Navy. They were quite a bit older than he and Retta. Retta worked all her life in Imperial College, and retired to Waterford in 1979 or thereabouts. The family grave is in Ballygunner Cemetery, Waterford. Charles is referenced, though of course he went down with his ship. Likewise John was buried at sea, at his wishes. Retta, her Mum and the other daughter who died as a child are buried there.

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Minards or more importantly Elizabeth
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 March 21 22:33 GMT (UK) »
My friend is over the moon with all this information even though it was 2014, but does anyone know where Elizabeth Minards is buried.  She died in 17th March 1911 (Blimey the same date as my dad died on St Patricks Day and he was a Welshman!)  18 Princes Road, Ellesmere Port, Whitby.
 I can't find her burial anywhere. she was born in Liskeard, Cornwall in 1851 and she married Charles 10th Sept 1873 in Plymouth and they had 9 children.  Any help would be much appreciated
Thank you and be safe
Heather :)