Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 57971 times)

Offline RedRover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« on: Thursday 20 April 06 18:10 BST (UK) »
Has been a while since I posted to any board.  Seeking to share information on Armagh born Pentland families, particularly around Ballyworkan.  I have photos of related and maybe-related family burials stones in Drumcree, Seagoe, and Mullavilly.

Other Armagh lines Uprichard, Morrow, Gibson, Dermot, Gardiner.

Also, I have alpha index of names for Pentland (and similar) for Scotland, Mid-Lothian Christening, Births and Marriages 1600-1800's.
Pentland (Ballyworkan & Scotland), Prentice (Co Armagh), Uprichard (Portadown), Morrow (Ballyworkan), Macleod (Dumfries, Scotland) & Prince Edward Island), Graeme (Belfast&Scotland), Valentine (Dublin)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 06 15:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know of any Pentland connection, but I was very interested to see the name Gibson.

I am descended from Jane Gibson (1821-1900), whose father was Jeremiah Gibson of Ballyworkan, a farmer. Jane married William Harcourt in Portadown in 1848.

I think I have a little more information on the family, but it will take me a while to unearth it and sort it out. Meanwhile, have you come across them?

Thanks for any help,
Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedRover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gibson Ballyworkan.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
Arthur:  I am sure that somehow we are then related as Ballyworkan is a very small place.  Did you know that in Ballyworkan there is a rural road called Harcourt's Hill upon which my gg grandfather lived?  I took a picture of it and the abandoned house when I visited there in 2002.

My gg paternal grandmother was Martha Gibson, born around 1832 and perhaps we could speculate was a sister to Jane?  She married Thomas Pentland and their children were Maggie Anne, John, Elizabeth Mary, Jane, Martha and Jeremiah. 

Jeremiah Pentland was my gg, born in 1863, and who also lived and raised his family in Ballyworkan just down the road from Thomas.  Many of the Pentlands were buried in Drumcree or Seagoe Church cemetaries, but I regret not making time to see, or bumping into, any Gibson graves.  I am trying to piece together 'where' the families were in proximity to each other in order through various online records.  I found that there was another spelling for Ballyworkan, like many places, but this was well before the Battle of the Boyne. After the process of elimination using the Pender's Census of Ireland from 1659, I believe the spelling was then Bollymurhan in the Oneyland Cones.  According to this census, there were (but likely not including servants) 20 people on the 'land' of Bollymurhan, 10 being English or Scotts and 10 being Irish.  The tituladoe named was Mr Amlett OBoyns.
Alison ps I am in Canada

Piecing together these documents if fun, but time consuming.
Pentland (Ballyworkan & Scotland), Prentice (Co Armagh), Uprichard (Portadown), Morrow (Ballyworkan), Macleod (Dumfries, Scotland) & Prince Edward Island), Graeme (Belfast&Scotland), Valentine (Dublin)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 06 20:15 BST (UK) »
Yes!! I think we are connected!

Very briefly, I had some professional research done a couple of years ago,  looking into the Harcourts and Gibsons of Ballyworkan and surrounding areas. The only Gibson found there in 1828 was Jeremiah, and over time his land passed to William Gibson, and later to Jeremiah Pentland. Sure enough, William Gibson's will (1889) left everything to his "nephew Jeremiah Pentland" - strongly suggesting that my Jane, your Martha, and the above William, were brother and sisters.

I'm sending you a private message - maybe we can continue this off list.

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline downpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 06 14:04 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather was Jeremiah Pentland from Ballyworkan. My grandfather was his son James Pentland. When I was young I always heard the story that James went to Canada - Vancouver Island I think - with some of his brothers and enlisted in the Canadian army in 1917. He was in Europe fighting, in France, took leave and came back to Portadown where he met my grandmother. She agreed to marry him but didn't want to go to Canada so he came back to Northern Ireland. I recently found his enlistment papers on the internet because the Canadian army has scanned all the old papers and made them available. He's on http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc013/573464a.gif.

When I was young we used to have Canadian cousins come to visit us the odd time in Downpatrick, Northern Ireland, so you must be one of those or related to one of those.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 May 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
Another cousin!

I'm not sure whether Alison is monitoring the board at the moment, but I'll let her know you've posted.

Arthur

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Ballyworkan Townland is mentioned on Connors Genealogy, Ireland GenWeb.

Broken link?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 07 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link!

Arthur

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

We have a George Pentland married to a Jane/Jennie Anderson.  George was the son of Alexander and Elizabeth Pentland. He was born abt 1806.

Some of their family were born in Seagoe Parish, before he moved to Derrykeevan, Tartaraghan and had the rest of their family.

Some of their children were
George, Jr.
Thomas married Deborah Ann SImonton from Derrylard
Jane Elizabeth married William Warnock
Lucy married a Thornton
Elizabeth married Joseph Black

I'm hoping you will recognize either Alexander and Elizabeth in your line, or George and Jane (Anderson) Pentland.

Best,
Roxanna