Author Topic: Glendinning Basket Maker  (Read 11430 times)

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glendinning Basket Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Shona and others, I am  Georgina's grand-daughter, and I got as far as John and Catherine too.  Georgina was born in Little Persie/Perth,and her parents were William Glendinning and  Jemima Kelbie.
Georgina was married to Donald Stewart and they brought up their large family at 43 Princess Street, Huntly.  They were definitely travellers/pedlars/tinkers as it is on all the Censuses.  It is amazing stuff and I came from those travellers, however being almost the youngest of ten children myself, we were properly domiciled, so I never knew the full extent of it going that far back until I got onto Scotlands people.  I was only little, but I saw Georgina the day before she died of Lukemia, and she was fit and on her feet on that day in Jopps Lane in Aberdeen, around 1948? when one of my oldest sisters took me to visit her at her daughter Bunty's house.(My Auntie)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All, - in particular Shona and Hazel,

Sorry Shona, I must have missed your post in April - your Grandfather Frank McMillan was my husbands uncle (Frank being the brother of my OH's mother Joan McMillan).  If we are right, Frank died 27 April 1973.  Interestingly my husband migrated here to Australia in 1969, and had his one and only visit back to "The Auld country" in 1973!!

And Hazel - I too used to think I knew a lot about Scotlands recent history, till i started my family tree!  I have discovered some interesting history of the "Highland Travellers" - Stewarts, McMillans, and Glendinnings being well known families...   Changing subject Hazel can you tell me if "Bunty" is an abbreviation for a specific name - as my OH remembers another Bunty - daughter of Agnes McMillan.

"FindingAncestors" - there are some websites which give a good idea of these "Highland Travellers" as compared to the Romany Gypsies - quite a separate group...  Boy, oh boy, how Family research broadens our horizons! 

I did a bit of my husbands tree at the beginning of the year - must admit it is a huge task and have been concentrating more on my own "Glasgow" side of the family.  Oh, to be a time traveller - or even at least to have the finances to afford a visit back to see all the family connected areas!

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 July 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all my cousins,
Bunty is a name in its own right and bunty was one of Georgina's 8 daughters, and my mothers name was Harriet Stewart third youngest of 8 girls and two boys of  Georgina Glendinning's  whose oldest daughter Maggie had a child named after  my Grandmother Georgina, to John Williamson on Feb 6Th 1910 and mother and daughter lived with the family at 43 Princes Street Huntly.  Baby Georgina would have been my cousin, but I was not born till the forties so I never knew her, or if I did, I probably thought she was an auntie or a granny something.
I too noticed that Richard Kelbie father of Jemima Glendinning was Married to Jemima who ? on Jemima glendinnings death certificate.  Can anybody please explain this please?  I cannot believe that no-one knew her maiden name.
My own father was Davy Hurtchison from Rare Tunes on the internet, and he died in 1976. His mother was Mary Stewart  and his father was James Hutchison both of Peterhead and both basketmakers/accordion players.  Mary Stewart's mother was Mary McFee who married James Stewart in 1846 in Inverness.

Thats enough for just now as it is a bit much to take in, but I have to tell you that only recently a lot has been let loose on Scotlands People from a Micro Fishe with two large sites of tent dwellers near Caithness, I believe, in a census, and I think that maybe Richard Kelbie is there.  It was quite a bit settlement of Kelbies and I just could not take it in, I had to clear my head a bit first.  Isn't it exciting?
Both my mother and father came from Stewarts on half of each side.
I too noticed that we all have William Glendinning and Jemima Glendinning/Kelbie as our Grandparents or great granparents.

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 July 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Hazel

Georgina Glendinning (1876-1949) was the daughter of William Glendinning (1840-1919) (James Glendinning (1815-?) and Catherine Stewart (1844-?), and Jemima Ann Kelbie (1841-1922) (Richard Kelbie (1789-1849) and Janet Jamieson (1808-1881). Georgina was the 1st Cousin twice removed of my late wife JANE KELBIE (1938-2005).
I have been doing the KELBIE family tree for about 20 years now, and have been compiling - with the grateful help of other Scottish Travelling families - a complex tree. Apart from inter-marrying within the Travelling community, many married with others of the same surname, and even within their own family!

Are you related to Alexander Hutchison (1936-2011) ? And do you know Lillian Hutchison (b.1964)?

Bill Bailie
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 July 12 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,
Thanks for that and it is very accurate and I will be sending you a private message.
Hazel

Offline Bianconn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 October 14 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel
I don't think you have been on here for a while and may not see this message, I am a new member. My grandma ( Mary Rose Susan Stuart) was the first wife of Donald Stuart ( Stewart), the eldest son of  Georgina Glendinning and Donald Stuart. He was a brother of your mum Harriet , he moved to Walsall after WW2 and married again in 1943 after the death of Rose. His younger brother Bill lived in Corby. I have a couple of photos of Donald if you would like them, one in his soldier's uniform and one Wedding photo. I am looking for further information about my Grandma Rose, who was English, lived in Aberdeen for a while then Fraserburgh and Maybole where I think she died as a result of an Air raid. They had two children, now deceased, William and Derick. Anyway, if you get this message let me know if you would like any of my information. I was really interested in your information about Georgina as I think Donald also died of a form of leukaemia. Best Wishes, Bianca.

Offline neilstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 July 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
Message to HazelAberdeen

You are Georgina's grand-daughter?
I am her sister Jemima's grandson.

I'm also pretty sure that you grandfather Donald was the younger brother of my grandfather James Stewart.

I'm afraid I never new any of them at all though, all long gone before I came on the scene.

Best Regards
Neil Stewart

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 July 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jsenior

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All
My DNA result links me to people who have Gendinning in their family tree. I can’t find any records for my great grandparents other than my great granddad’s name James Chadwick and occupation basket maker on my grand parents marriage certificate. He was deceased by 1923 when they got married. Their daughter Annie Chadwick died in 1955 and is in the family burial plot at Southern cemetery in Manchester. When she married Horace Dalton she was 34. This is from the marriage certificate. I can’t find her birth records. My dad’s DNA Leslie Dalton ( DOB 5/1/1927 to 12/10/2006) is showing 50% from the Scottish Highlands.
Could any help?
Kind Regards
Julie