Author Topic: Margaret Russell Family Letterkenny, Ireland  (Read 6847 times)

Offline txkulbreez85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Russell Family Letterkenny, Ireland
« on: Sunday 22 June 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about my 2nd great grandmother Margaret Russell. I have no information on ther parents or family (siblings). What I do know is that my grandfather wrote down prior to his passing that her birthday was 09 Feb 1849 and that she was born in Letterkenny, Ireland. She came to the U.S. in 1871 according to the census information in 1880. (possibly same Margaret Russell of Irish decent shown on NY passenger list from ship name Angli that departed from Glasgow, Scottland and arrive 04 Aug 1871). She married Thompson Boyle in Randolph County, Illinois, USA 03 April 1873.

I belive she may have been presbytarian because many of the Lively family was. Thompson and Margaret (Maggie)'s daughter Elizabeth married Arthur Lively.

Any information/help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Russell Family Letterkenny, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
RootsIreland has a baptism for a Margaret Russell in Trenta Presbyterian parish 1849.
About 21km South of Letterykenny.

The site is pay to view and only has transcriptions. It may not be her, unfortunately you can only see the year without paying.
http://donegal.rootsireland.ie

There are 4 Margaret Russell in Letterkenny Presbyterian 1846, 1853, 1877 and 1892

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 June 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Had a look at this as I am distantly related to Russells from Donegal, although not to this branch.

Not much to go on apart from name and date, can add some information to sinnann's reply, if this is the correct Margaret Russell:

Margaret Russell (B.1849) baptised Trenta(gh), Presbyterian Church (5 miles north west of Letterkenny)
Father John Russell, mother Jane King. 3 siblings also baptised in same church
Anne Russell (1841)
David Russell (1844)
Mary Russell(1846)

There is an online tree for Mary Russell on the family search site, maybe worth contacting submitter , they may have more detail for Margaret.

Several John Russells living in Donegal in the mid 1800's according to the Griffith Valuation, closest I found to church was a John Russell living at Ballybolauder about 1.5 miles from church

If you follow the link sent by Sinann and purchase record it would confirm date of birth and also hopefully place of residence for father

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 June 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Checking the ancestral file of Mary Russell(b.1846) possible sibling of your Margaret Russell she was buried in Hill Prairie Cem, Preston, in Randolph county,Ill, same county where Margaret married Thompson Boyle.
                                          ---------------------------------
On a sideline to your search Jane Trindle Russell of Big Ards, in the parish of Conwal (same parish where Letterkenny is situated) married John Buchanan in 1751, their grandson was James Buchanan who became 15th Pres. of the USA, you never know you may make a connection back to her!
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline txkulbreez85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 03:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for the info. Definitely going to check it all out!

Update: Checked it out Birthdate is an exact Match. I had someone else tell me they believed her father's name was John but did not have mothers. I think this is the right Margaret Russell. Thank you so much for all the info and help!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 11:31 BST (UK) »

That's great you made the connection :D

When checking out the date did you also get an address or place of residence?

It may be possible to get more information from land records etc. and push the tree back another generation or two but with so many John Russells in the area you would need a townland location to begin the search

Regards
Joe

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again
I may have some more relevant information, checked the 1901 census, a Samuel King Russell was living at No. 1 Ballybolauder, I checked his birth and he is an older sibling of Margaret, Mary, David and Anne, christened in 1836 at same church as above. This ties the family to the townland of Ballybolauder, the farm where Margaret was born may well still exist. Samuel King Russell died in 1903, his son John Russell took over the farm after that date, he appears with his family same address in the 1911 census.

Regards

Edit:

The family had a grave plot at Trenta churchyard, link below:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/TrentaPresGY.htm

John Russell, father of Margaret can be found in the 1834 Tithe applotment book farming 28 acres at Ballybolauder

Edit 2:
Another probable sibling:
Ellen Russell b 1831 in Ballybolother, Ireland. father John Russell married on 2 May 1849 in Trenta, Parish of Conwall, Co Donegal George Lucas, b 1812 in Ireland, father William Lucas.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 June 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
she came through castle garden and paid her own way

http://www.castlegarden.org

you could put a message in the local papar asking for information