Author Topic: potterspury/ old stratford marriage lookup 1839  (Read 1742 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
potterspury/ old stratford marriage lookup 1839
« on: Sunday 31 August 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there I have come across an article on find my past of my fifth great grandfather Lewis Brown he marriage 20 may 1839 In potterpury district I found this article this is the summary on findmypast for Edinburgh her marriage Elizabeth ashby
when I click on the actual article I cannot find it can someone please look into this for me why it was in newspaper and can someone look for the actual marriage in parish records please he was widowed in his 50s
PRESBYTERY OF EDINBURGH.

“... daughter of Mr. Abbay, of Kirby Hall, the same county. , St Pel, Sto "y Stratford, on Sunday, May 20, lhe .i«w rs .' Mr. Lewis Brown, to Mrs. Eliz. Ashby, ' - h'B being the first marriage, solemnized amoD Seres? 3 ,n tlie * town, it excited considerable ...”

26 December 1839 - Caledonian Mercury - Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: potterspury/ old stratford marriage lookup 1839
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 August 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
I found this article this is the summary on findmypast for Edinburgh her marriage Elizabeth ashby
when I click on the actual article I cannot find it can someone please look into this for me why it was in newspaper and can someone look for the actual marriage in parish records please

The Terms & Conditions of Find My past membership prohibit publication of info from their website.  You will need to buy credits to view the article

To look up a marriage in parish records you need to know which church they married in.  Here are all the areas contained within the Pottersbury registration district

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/potterspury.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 14 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a subscriber to find my past and can view as many records as I pay monthly I just cant find the actual article even though its highlighted where it apparently is I still don't see it?
It seems to state stony stratford and the date 20 may 1839

Offline KatPez

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 16:20 BST (UK) »
The problem with that summary is it will be a link to a search for British Newspaper ARchives.  I've looked at the page for it and there doesn't seem to be a connection.  It looks like the brief is a mixture of articles. 

Nicholson - Hargrave/Raunds
Gates - Hargrave
Miller - Lytham
Kelly/Kelley - Cumbria/Isle of Man
Linnell - Silverstone
Major - Towcester
Martin - Cornwall/Isle of Man
Davy - Cornwall
Ayres - Helmdon
Hall - Rugby/Harborough Magna

Offline KatPez

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Ooh I have however found the article (not in the Caledonian Mercury but in the Northampton Mercury which makes much more sense).

It reads

"In the Baptist Chapel, Stony Stratford, on Sunday May 26, by Rev. E. L. Forster, Mr. Lewis Brown, to Mrs Eliz. Ashby, widow.  This being the first marriage solemnized amongst the dissenters in the above town, it exited considerable interest, and attracted a great number to witness the ceremony"

Northampton Mercury - Saturday 08 June 1839

I'm assuming that means that it was the first marriage to take place at the baptist chapel or as non-conformists which is why it would make the paper.  However, you'd probably have to look more into the local area history to find this out.
Nicholson - Hargrave/Raunds
Gates - Hargrave
Miller - Lytham
Kelly/Kelley - Cumbria/Isle of Man
Linnell - Silverstone
Major - Towcester
Martin - Cornwall/Isle of Man
Davy - Cornwall
Ayres - Helmdon
Hall - Rugby/Harborough Magna

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for finding that for me I really appreciate it, can anybody look up this marriage for me please as unfortunately I cannot afford to order a cert this month! :(
thanks in advance