Author Topic: Ballingarry - Kenney  (Read 2530 times)

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballingarry - Kenney
« on: Wednesday 14 May 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to dig further on my Kenney & Hickey ancestors from Ballingarry, Limerick.  Unfortunately Patrick Kenney and Mary Hickey were born with such common names and their marriage record (1860) didn't offer their parents names.   They had a daughter Catherine in 1862 and came to Chicago sometime before 1870.  The family has resided in Chicago ever since.

Can anyone help me try and figure out how i can go about figuring out their siblings, parents? I can't find their passenger list either. 

Offline jila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ballingarry - Kenney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
Birth dates of Patrick & Mary ? Date of death ? 

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Its approximate...their marriage record doesn't state it.  The US 1870 census states that Patrick was 30 and Mary Kenney was 33.  so Patrick (born approx 1840) and Mary (approx 1837).  Patrick Kenney died 11/23/1909 in Chicago.  Mary Kenney died 2/9/1899 in Chicago.

I have their death certficiates.

Offline jila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
I would suggest you take a look at the Find A Grave website: Perhaps these other Kenney's are related to your Patrick?? Perhaps his parents ?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=105009&GSfn=&GSln=kenney

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Most of those entries are from me.  I'm just stuck...not sure where else I can obtain information to know more about the Hickey line or the Kenneys.

Offline jila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Did Patrick have a brother George? Parents are John & Elizabeth- buried in the same cemetery ? 

Also two Mary Hickey Kenney's one died in Jan 1888 and the other in Feb 1898 ?? Was there two in your family ?

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
John Kenney & Elizabeth O'Connell Kenney, are not my relatives.  I already worked on that lineage.   

Patrick had a brother John, at least I can only assume so.  John died 7/25/1917 and is buried with Patrick and Mary, and then Alexander Kiley & Patrick J. Kiley.  Alexander is the son of Patrick Kiley.  And Patrick Kiley was married to Kate Kenney - daughter of Patrick & Mary. 

John's death certificate is a little unclear, but it looks as if his place of birth states "Ireland" or "Cleveland".  Kate Kiley remarried a George Kenney sometime in 1917-1918.  So I can't put aside that the John Kenney buried with Patrick Kenney, could be related to Kate's 2nd husband.  So confusing...i know.  SHe married a man with the same last name as her maiden name.  Haven't figured out that either. 

Offline jila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Yes confusing for me too :)

What about Mary Hickey's death ?? 1888 or 1898 ??

Looks like Kate birth year is in question too- On her death record- It is 8 April 1877 (not 1862/64) Perhaps she wanted to me younger ? (lol) I posted the record to her page page on your tree.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N319-S18

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Mary Hickey Kenney died in 1898.   Kate Kenney was born in 1862.  Her death certificate was wrong.  Same date, wrong year.  She may have told her 2nd husband she was alot younger than what she was.  I can't find her and George Kenney's marriage cert (he was born 7/22/1883 and died 8/30/1969 in Oak Park).  His 2nd (or 3rd) wife was Rose Faigl Hondlik. 

Kate Kiley (1st husband) and PJ Kiley were in the papers alot.  He was the Superintendent of the Insane Asylum for a few years.  He died in 1893.  Patrick Kenney found him dead, he suffocated after drinking too much. 

I have all of this information, and all the information you just commented on my tree.