Author Topic: Johnson family of Crosby Ravensworth/Shap/Hilton  (Read 16329 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Johnson family of Crosby Ravensworth/Shap/Hilton
« on: Wednesday 19 October 05 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

My brick wall at the moment is trying to find out where my ggg grandfather Richard Johnson was born. He died before 1841, so have no census help. There's nothing on the IGI for him except his marriage in Shap in 1814. I've searched the Shap PRs for his baptism & couldn't find him. I have found other possiblities in other parishes but have nothing to link the entry to my Richard Johnson. I cannot be sure that I have found the correct one. I have his burial record from the Crosby Ravensworth PRs: 23 MAY 1836 aged 50. This means he was born in 1786.

It was suggested to me to try and look at documents in the parish chest of Crosby Ravensworth where he worked as a blacksmith. Unfortunately, no such parish chest exists so am back to square one!

I have contacted Kendal Records office to see if there exists any apprenticeship records for blacksmiths in Shap & Crosby Ravensworth, but unfortunately there is nothing!!!

I have also looked at the witnesses of his marriage to see if they were possibly his siblings but the entry was most unhelpful: Witnesses:- John Mounsey, James Farrer. James Farrer is the Parish Clerk and witnesses most of the weddings at that time. John Mounsey appears to be his understudy, as he becomes clerk a year or so later.

I had thought of the naming pattern. A Richard Johnson I have found in the 1787 census of Westmorland living in Hilton, who I believe is the most likely candidate, has a father called Thomas. My Richard named his eldest son Thomas so that fits the pattern. He also has a son Ralph and my possible Richard's grandfather was Ralph Johnson.

I haven't looked into wills, maybe I should investigate?

Do any of you experts have any more ideas???

In hope, Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson family of Crosby Ravensworth/Shap/Hilton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 05 20:09 BST (UK) »
Gillian
Is one of your sources for Richard Johnson the 1829 P&W directory?  He is listed there and I notice that there is also a William Johnson (blacksmith) in Reagill.

There are no Johnson heads of household on the 1811 CR census.

CR parish records:
Robert Johnson of Flass, Barnskew died in 1722 (children born 1707, 1711, 1719)
Sarah Johnstone wife of William of Haberwain died 1760
Jane Johnstone married 1784
Mary Johnstone/Jonson married 1786 and having children 1787 to 1794 in CR

There are several burials of Johnstone children in CR between 1820 and 1827.   I can give you more details (from transcript only) if you are interested.   The original parish registers might give more information.

Have you looked at monumental inscriptions for Shap?  I've looked for CR and there do not appear to be any relevant ones.

There is a record of a Richard Johnson age thirteen and a half being apprenticed to William and John Jackson, weavers until the age of twenty and one half years.  This was in 1825 in CR.  I wonder if he might be a cousin of your Richard?

I think your name linkages look promising.

Have you looked at the Askham parish registers as well?  Does Richard's wife provide any clues?

Sorry I can't suggest anything very useful.
Deborah

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 05 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah,

Thanks for your reply. I had seen the Richard Johnson blacksmith in the 1829 P&W and he is definately my Richard. I hadn't seen the one in Reagill. The possible Richard from the 1787 census had a younger brother William b1793 so this could possibly be him? There is an uncle William as well b 1766 but would have been 63 yrs old in 1829 so maybe a bit too old?

Shap momumental inscriptions there is only:
JOHNSTONE.
  (N).  In m. Hannah, da. of William Garnett and Agnes Johnstone who d. June
23rd 1840 aged 11 m. Also of Thomas their grand-son who d. June 10th 1846
Aged 1 y. and 8 m. also William Garnett Johnstone who d. at Shap October
18th 1871 aged 78 y. also of his wife Agnes Johnstone who d. at Shap on the
16 June 1873 aged 80y.

Richard's wife was Elizabeth Farrer b1792 Warcop but must have been living in Shap at the time of her marriage to Richard.

I have since spoken to Kendal Records office and they said that the Richard Johnson from the 1787 census was baptised AUG 1784. This info is not on the IGI. They also said that there are very few settlement & apprenticeship records for the parishes of interest & they found no reference to a Richard Johnson.

I think that maybe if Thomas Johnson, possible father of Richard, left a will there may be clues there!

I will not be beaten!!!

Thanks for your help,

Gillian

Offline leicslass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 06 00:46 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for information on Richard Johnson of Crosby Ravensworth? I have details that might be for the same Richard. My interests are Johnson of Crosby Ravensworth, Dufton Appleby & Brough

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 July 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Leicslass,

I am indeed still looking for any Richard Johnson, blacksmith of Crosby Ravensworth, info. I have reached a brick wall as I cannot find out his place of birth!! Any info would be gratefully appreciated!

Gillian

Offline leicslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
HI Gillian,

Here's what I have;
Richard Johnson B 1789, Appleby. Died May 23 1836 Crosby Ravensworth.

Parents: Thomas B May 27 1755 - ? Stonemason.
               Mary Allon B.? - D: Mar 17, 1809, Coupland, West.

Siblings: Ann ?
              Ralph?
              Thomas 1782
              William 1788
              George 1789
              John 1791
              William 1793

Married:  Elizabeth ? B: 1790, Warcrop D: Feb 28 1872. No date for marriage yet.

Children:  Mary 1814
                Thomas 1817
                John 1819
                Richard 1822
                Sarah 1825
                Christopher 1827
                Ralph 1829

I am decended from Richard's brother, George (1789) Several of their children have the same names and are close in ages, so I've often chased Richard's thinking they were Georges.  In fact I just got the marriage certificate for John 1819, only to find his father was Richard and not George.

Let me know if this information is useful.  I have so many Johnsons, let me know if you need more.

Good Luck,

Dee

Offline Winby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 July 10 03:50 BST (UK) »
hello gigi, leicslass, and all,
i am related to William Johnson, who was born in Crosby Ravensworth in 1833. Would you be able to point me in the direction of his father? I know that there were two or more Williams who might be candidates, but don't have access to the relevant records to narrow the search.
any help would be much appreciated,
thanks.

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 July 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Winby,

Welcome to Rootschat!!!

Was your William a teacher who lived in Chester?
If so his parents were Richard Johnson (blacksmith) & Elizabeth Farrer.

There is also a William Johnson bap 21 May 1827 Crosby Ravensworth son of George Johnson & Margaret Fothergill. William & William were cousins. Their fathers, Richard & George, were brothers.

Regards,

Gillian

Offline Winby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Gillian,
This is most helpful - thank you so much. My William Johnson (b. c1833) was indeed a schoolmaster in Chester, and was married first to Mary Musselwhite (1856-1859), then after her death to Sarah Beswick. It is from the latter union that our family is descended.
If I understand the sequence described in your and the other postings, William (1833) was a fairly late son of Richard and Elizabeth Farrer, and his grandfather was Thomas (stonemason) and Mary Allon. Have I got that right? In which case, I wonder if you had been able to go back any further and find out the father of Thomas?
In any case, thank you so much for your help - this website is an amazing instrument, especially for us novices!
Philip