Author Topic: Kent gypsy  (Read 58952 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kent gypsy
« Reply #36 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My aunt Genty never liked the name so we called her junita or nita for short another aunt who was named after gran gusta (augusta) never like her name either so she called her self betty and another who was called fanny liked to be called fay.my friend julie lee's father is hezikiah lee but they started out as emmett and had come from essex,my sister inlaw is married to a hilden and he say's that they where from the ashford area of kent and originally came from germany one big family really.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 13 May 13 16:15 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in looking for any Perfects / Birds / Stanleys from the Chatham area. They were gypsy relatives of mine and I've been having a bit of trouble tracing them

Lisa, can you be more specific ie. names/dates/places of who you are looking for as Rootschatters may be able to help you look ........... another pair (or more) of eyes is often useful ;)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LisaJacobs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
Charles Leonard Perfects parents -
Henry Perfect 1827 - unknown
Harriet (Emma) Perfect 1840 - unknown
Marriage in 1858 (possible)

Elizabeth Birds parents -
Henry Stanley 1855 - unknown
Mary Ann Bird 1857 - unknown
Marriage 1878

The Bird family all went under their mothers maiden name until at some point in life all changed to Stanley. Reason unknown

Is there any more dates etc you would like? Both familys lived in Chatham the majority of their lives

Offline sophie stanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 August 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
I'm related to digger stanley on my dad's side, he was my grandads uncle! Iv seen everyone's comments and there's so many people in my family I didn't know about! Would be nice to speak to everyone! :-)

Offline Kaypck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
My Kent gypsies were the Daisy family or Daysay as they are sometimes know. They were around the Sittingbourne to Folkestone  areas and were mostly hawkers or seamen. Going back further they had marriage links with the Fagg family.  I don't think they were neccessarily romany, but they were heavily into smuggling. The Bassett family also show up in this line.
Important things to remember are, you may find several baptisms for the same child, the mother's name was sometimes used instead of the father's and aliases were common when they didn't want to be known.
Hope that helps, and if anyone has heard of my lot, please let me know.

Kay

Offline kathyflee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 09 March 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my name is kathy I was a lee before I got married, Edward ley (lee) was my great grandfather and waynus ley (lee) was his son they did get bombed at corkses pit. My grandfather was vanny lee, waynus definitely wasn't a bignal, my great granny Annie was 48 when they died.

Offline Oojie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 21 March 15 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find out about my family history. Would really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that are more specifically for Kent gypsy genealogy.
Mainly looking for the name BIGNELL at the moment.
My grandfather George bignall, siggy, and my granny Omi, was originally a Brazil, from Kent, my grandfather came from swanly St Mary's cray dartford way he has got a sister lucky and brother Jimmy I believe but don't know much bout this side of the family, was told a while ago that they was originally lees, he died bout 20 yr ago. My granny died 2 year ago her mother and father was Ada and Ben Brazil....wanna find where they all come from!!

Offline Oojie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 21 March 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find out about my family history. Would really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that are more specifically for Kent gypsy genealogy.
Mainly looking for the name BIGNELL at the moment.
My grandfather George bignall, siggy, and my granny Omi, was originally a Brazil, from Kent, my grandfather came from swanly St Mary's cray dartford way he has got a sister lucky and brother Jimmy I believe but don't know much bout this side of the family, was told a while ago that they was originally lees, he died bout 20 yr ago. My granny died 2 year ago her mother and father was Ada and Ben Brazil....wanna find where they all come from!!
My granny's sister genty died last year there were 13 brothers all together only a couple left now, I grew up on church marshes site and travelled around for a bit, as some one said I spell my last name bignell but my father and grandfather were bignall! Don't know how or why that happened. Over the years we've lived around Willetts, lees, smiths....my granny knew all travellers from all over, could listen to her tales all day long, anyone knowing my granny or grandfathers side please get in touch

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 29 March 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
looking for any info on this family.....granfather Willam smith who married me granny Elizabeth Franklin or frankham my sister going to see my aunt find out their dates brith date of marriage I do know that after the beleverdere marshes they moved in house address was 125 brook street they lived there for long time
William smith date birth 9/7/1904 his family from Waltham cross his dad Bob smith mother Sarha loveridge
 his brothers joe & Charlie & john sisters lovely & susie & dolly my granfather willie lived in house 125 brook street Erith for bout 18 yrs after he came off the belverdere marshes.
a muddle i know but my friend dosnt know much more than this i am afraid.can any one help?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country