Author Topic: Elsie Tunnicliffe  (Read 1084 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Elsie Tunnicliffe
« on: Wednesday 11 June 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Following a somewhat worrying contact on Ancestry this morning,I am looking for the birth of an Elsie Tunnicliffe after 1916 in the Stoke-on-Trent area with a mother's maiden name of Tunstall?This Elsie married a John Mitchell in 1945 apparently.Both are now dead.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie Tunnicliffe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Well it seems that I should have known perhaps not to expect the exact literal names shown on Ancestry!Also shown are an Ivy(1916) and indeed an Elsie(1922) with the mother's maiden name of Tunstall but spelt Tunnicliff without the e at the end!Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Ivy,Elsie and the other children of Henry Lewis Tunnicliffe and Ann Tunstall are quite close relatives of mine.Their Grandmother(Ann's mother) was an Emily Durber born in 1858.Emily being the sister of my  Great-Grandfather Henry Durber.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
Well it seems that when it looks as if we have a family sorted,a second look at things show it up as being more complicated than first thought.

I have just looked on Staffordshire BMD for Tunnicliffe births and noticed the birth in 1910 of a Joseph  Jesse Tunnicliffe also showing with a mother's maiden name of Tunstall!Just looking on Ancestry it looks very much as if he was the son of a Joseph Tunnicliffe and an Emma Tunstall who married at Shelton St Mark in 1897.Now this Emma would have been 46 in 1922 so maybe a little old to be Elsie's mother?

However I had previously added as the children of Henry Lewis Tunnicliffe and Ann Tunstall an Alice E born in 1912 and a Harold born in 1917.Now in the light of my finding the other Tunnicliffe/Tunstall marriage and the fact that both lived in Hanley Stoke-on-Trent the two births I have just mentioned look a little suspect?

Finally this thread was not intended as some sort of monologue!I very much welcome any thoughts anyone may have!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire