Author Topic: Will Throws a Spanner in the Works!  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Will Throws a Spanner in the Works!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesanne ...

Yes, cousins could be a possibility - but proving it is definitely easier said than done! 

WASTIE is an extremely unusual name in Oxfordshire.  There are connections to those found in London in the 18th and 19th century, and probably also to those in Nottinghamshire from the mid 1700s onwards (although not yet proven).  I've traced my maternal grandmother's line back from Handborough and to Eynsham.

I'm currently verifying a family tree for the family put together by someone else.  They have connected the family to the WACEs of Stonesfield and Stanton Harcourt, presuming that WASTIE - and its variants of WAST(E)Y(E) and WAISTIE - are a corruption of the WACE surname from around the mid 1600s.  However, the more research I do the more I'm convinced that this is incorrect - how do I otherwise explain the WASTIE surname cropping up in several parishes in the area in the early 1600s, plus a crop of WASTIEs in East/West Hendred in the late 1500s/early 1600s.

So, they may be cousins, but until I can find some marriage/death records for the wives I don't think I can prove it!

Thanks for your help - any other ideas?

Pennie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Will Throws a Spanner in the Works! (UPDATED: NOW SOLVED!)
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 June 14 11:50 BST (UK) »

For anyone who may come across this message whilst researching their family tree, I thought it was worth updating the thread as I've now solved the "mystery" of Richard WASTIE's marriage to Margery.

The Oxfordshire Archdeacon's Marriage Bond Index has the following entry:

1665 - Richard WASTELL (of Ensham) & Margery BOWLES (of West Hanny)

A quick bit of digging showed that this Richard didn't seem to exist in any other records.  Wendy Archer (of the OFHS) then very kindly had a look at the original marriage bond for me and confirmed that the surname had been mistranscribed - it was WASTIE!

There is one further interesting coincidence.  I believe that Thomas WASTIE (born c1542 in West Hendred) was Richard's grandfather.  West Hendred is the next-but-one parish to West Hanny - I like to think that perhaps Richard met Margery when visiting his grandfather!!!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.