Author Topic: Christina Kennedy/Dewar/Gordon of Logierait, Perthshire - Brickwall  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Damside Damsel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christina Kennedy/Dewar/Gordon of Logierait, Perthshire - Brickwall
« on: Thursday 05 February 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
My great Granny Christina Kennedy was born 5 February 1859 New Inver, Tullipowrie, Logierait (birth cert held) - illegitimate child of Margaret Kennedy & James Dewar. Kirk Session Minutes held - no further trace of a Margaret Kennedy - but named as Janet on Christina's marriage.
1861 census checked - only one Christina Dewar and no Christina Kennedy's of approx. age : -
Christina Dewar, aged 2 living in household of grandfather Donald Dewar @ 1 Newton, Logierait - no mother or father, there is a Christina Dewar, aged 21 - so I checked to see if child might have been hers but no Christina Dewars - born around 1859.
Christina Dewar married my Great Grandfather Alexander Gordon 1 Dec 1882 Baptist Church Perth and had 3 children, James, Helen & Alexander (my Grandfather) born 3/11/1886.  Alexander Gordon then did a bunk, hauled back by the poor law inspector, and then disappeared, possibly to America!
My brickwall is finding Christina - she disappears!
She is on 1891 census as Mrs Gordon in Blairgowrie with a further child Robert, illegitemate, and then a further child Donald Gordon born 16 /9/1895 - then gone!!!
two illegitemate children are together in care at Blinkbonnie on 1901 census - I can account on 1901 census for grandad and siblings but no Christina.
I have checked all death and marriage details at New Register House for all Christinas but came up with nothing!!
Can anyone suggest any other lines of enquiry I can take - Grandad refused to talk about his mother or father - said they were dead!!!

???
Penny:Dunn:Stewart of Dunning & Auchterarder
Gordon:McLaren:Campbell:Robertson:Livingston:Conachar:Cameron:McLeish:Duff:Kennedy:Dewar:Fleming:

Offline dhubthach

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Kennedy/Dewar/Gordon of Logierait, Perthshire - Brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question regarding Christina Kennedy. However, I was intrigued by your post.

There is a Donald Gordon commemorated on the Parish of Caputh War Memorial for the Great War and on a plaque inside the church.

The following appeared in the local newspaper;

BLAIRGOWRIE ADVERTISER: 26.05.1917
WAR CASUALTIES - MEIKLEOUR

Pvt. Donald Gordon, Black Watch, formerly employed by Mr Stewart, Little Fardle, and who was recently reported missing, is now officially reported killed.

Donald was killed on 30th July, 1916 serving with the 6th Black Watch. He fell attacking the German trenches at High Wood on the Somme. The same action in which my g-uncle John Duffy was killed, and who is commemorated on the Blairgowrie & Rattray War Memorial.

On Soldiers Died in the Great War Donald gave his place of birth as Blairgowrie (sic) and on his CWGC entry he states he was a brother of Robert Gordon, Auchingarroch, Comrie, Perthshire.

Researching, I was drawn back time and again to the 1901 census where I believe Donald and his brother are enumerated as boarders at Blinkbonnie, Caputh.

In the 1911 census I think Donald may be a cattleman at Lochlands Farm, Parish of Bendochy but not far from Rattray.

I have Donald's birth certificate but his mother states she was married to John Gordon, not, Alexander (a lie/mistake?).

Were you aware of this or have any relevant information?

rgds.,

Mark

Online Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 14 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Did you search for Christian as well as Christina as the names are often interchangeable?

I've just discovered by googling her name, that a gg aunt who vanished after 1871 went to India!

Maybe Christina is living with some other man and using his name/in a mental hospital/prison. If family wouldn't talk about her they were probably ashamed of her for some reason. Have you tried searching the catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland? Online newspapers?
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 March 14 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I did a search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You searched for: Surname: "KEN*EDY"; Surname Option: Exact; Forename: "CHRIST*"; Forename Option: Wildcard; Sex: "Female"; Year From: 1860; Year To: 1959; Birth Year: 1859;

I came up with only 2 results

1 1940 KENNEDY CHRISTINA     F 81 KILBIRNIE /AYR 596/00 0075   
2 1940 KENNEDY CHRISTINA   FORBES F 81 GOVAN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/17 1510

Yours Aye
BruceL