Author Topic: KNOWLES Family - Jersey  (Read 4759 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
KNOWLES Family - Jersey
« on: Tuesday 17 October 06 00:25 BST (UK) »
A sunny hello from Australia!

Seeking help to find the family of William Knowles and Mary Bolton.

The information I have at hand is taken from the marriage certificate of their son Richard William Knowles. He states that he was born in Jersey. As he was 39 at the time of the wedding in 1879 it means he was born circa 1840.  His father's profession is noted as a soldier, so he may have been stationed there at the time of his son's birth (?).

Nothing is known about siblings at this time.

Fingers crossed we can find him/them with some help....

Cheers  :) :) :)

Elsie Ellen

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Knowles family - Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 00:36 BST (UK) »
Fort Regent jersey
William Knowles 40 Soldier E
Mary 30 E
Thomas 4 I
Susan 2 E
William 4mth Y
HO107/1461/17 13 15

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 06:28 BST (UK) »
Suz...you have made our day! We are buzzed!!!

Thank you so very much for finding our family.

We are now wondering if they were still there at the time of the 1851 census or had moved on. Knowing nothing about the workings of the army at that time, we don't know where to start looking.

Any suggestions?

Cheers from a very grateful Aussie.  :) :) :)

Elsie

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
I don't think they were there in 51 - but I'll have a look around .
It looks like Thomas was b. Ireland and the others England -except Wiiliam jnr of course .

Would the William b Jersey be Richard William?

If so it's possible the other children were known by their middle names ???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz!

Richard William and William are one and the same. On the wedding certificate the marriage is registered as Richard but he signed himself as William. I guess he preferred to use the middle name in everyday parlance and forgot the formalities when signing!

He emigrated to Australia in 1860...not sure yet if any other family members also came with him.

Thanks for the explanation of the "I" and "E".

If you can't find them I'll have to try and see if there's a way of finding where next he might have been posted, and taken his family.

I appreciate your help with this, Suz.  :)

Cheers

Elsie

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 13:40 BST (UK) »
I can't find any of them in 1851 in Channel Islands or UK. Tried to find reg of Susan's birth -but their are several Susannah's in England round about the same time - managed to rule a few out .

There are a couple of William Knowles (not correct age/family) in 1851 -and not with obvious army connections.

Knowles is quite a common name -but I did find a Knowles in 1851 in Jersey with an army connection who had a son William. May be some relation - thought it might be worth you having "just in case"  it may "fit in" somewhere along the line?

!851
St Helier Jersey
Alex Knowles 48 Master Gunner Royal Artillery Scotland
Frances wife 60? England
William son 20 Seaman England
James Fowler Grandson 8
HO107 2527 201 38

A further look at the 1841 census leads me to believe your William was 1 mth old -not 4 mth! Which helps if you are looking for his birth cert. If you care to PM me your e address- I can send you the image of 1841

Suz

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: KNOWLES Family - Jersey
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz.

I'll add the other family to the records and we'll wait and see if we can fit them in.

Appreciate your time and effort in helping me.

Cheers

Elsie

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KNOWLES Family - Jersey
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 December 13 14:53 GMT (UK) »
It's been a long time since your post but I've just discovered a connection to Knowles family on Jersey. Not yours but the family with James Fowler as a grandson.
Your Knowles were still in Jersey in 1843. They baptised a daughter, Mary Elizabeth on Apr 5th 1843 (dob Mar 18th1843) parents William and Mary Bolton. Fathers occ  Corporal in the 59th
regiment.
Military records on FindMyPast have a William Knowles of 59th foot born 1801 St Alphets parish Canterbury, Kent. He was discharged at Portsmouth 21 Jun 1844. That's the closest match I've found.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott