Author Topic: Name puzzle  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Name puzzle
« on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:54 BST (UK) »
My great uncle is named as Robert ROBERTS Roberts, father Henry Roberts) on his (1842) birth certificate. I thought this was an error by the registrar until I came across Robert ROBERTS Williams (father Robert Williams). Does anyone have explanation?
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 October 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
The family might have been following a convention of giving the child its mother's maiden name as a second given name.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Name puzzle
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 October 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Normally a birth certificate before the 1970's didn't contain a child's surname, the surname is assumed from the father's surname

Until fairly late in 19th C, in much of rural Wales, some people retained a patronymic naming system where Edward the son of Griffith Williams would become Edward Griffiths; but it was a dying tradition. Because of this one couldn't assume the child's surname - what you have on your certificates is a confirmation of which naming tradition was being used. The family of Robert the son of Henry Roberts is using the "English" style surname, but the family of Robert the son of Robert Williams is using the "Welsh" patronymic style.