Author Topic: george smith mackie  (Read 14879 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: george smith mackie
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 23:12 BST (UK) »
 :)

Worked well again, Monica  :)

I'm interested in what happened to Amelia  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 21:41 BST (UK) »
HI
Havent you all been having a busy time on my account   I am new to this so Help!! if i seem too slow  I am so amazed to get any response so ask away what can I tell you

Ronnie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
Ummmmmmmmmmm  ???

I think we might have been telling you, Ronnie, or at least answering your question!

What happened to Amelia?

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 21:57 BST (UK) »
George came to england at some stage I wonder if by boat  Because I first pick him up by his marriage Certificate  He married Esther Howard from Thorrington in Essex on the 18th April   1868 in Reigate Surrey  where they both worked at the  new Lunatic Asylum as Tailors They had a son William Smith Mackie born in Reigate another son Frank Howard Mackie  who was born at 259 Geroge Street Aberdeen 12th September 1874 and a daughter Alice Maud Mackie also born in Reigate 
When Frank was born George's occupation was now given  as a Photographer which he remained for the rest of his life  When he died in 1885 he was running A phographers business here in Colchester   No mention at any time of Amelia :'(

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all that information, Ronnie.

Gadget  :)

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
 It should be  "Thankyou"  to you two  I was so gobsmacked to get the replies!!!!!!!

I had ,like yourself looked, at William Smith Distillery at Jericho there is a very good webb site for it and I also managed to get a book from the local library with Pictures I was try ing hard to get some kind of proof really that he was Georges Father  and not just assume which I can be very good at  The Distillery was not far from where they were living when George was  born so I wondered if maybe Amelia was working at the Distillery  Maybe seeing your notes I should try looking for Elizabeth to see if she was Amelias sister  I seem to remember that on his Baptism there was another Mackie christened the same day Maybe a cousin :-\ It seemed a small village I was also told that if The fathers name was on the birth certificate he probably would have had to pay maintenace for the child through the church by Scottish law is this correct and would it show in church records somewhere

Offline UglyDuckling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 19 October 07 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi vabbott

I was interested to see you mention a website and book with information about William Smith's distillery at Jericho. My GGGG Grandfather is the William Murray 35, mashman, working with him in 1841 mentioned in MonicaLesl's earlier post.

Do you still have a note of the site and book title or any other information you've managed to find about the distillery? My William continued to work as a brewer and distillery foreman in Oldmeldrum and Aberdeen until his death from cirrhosis of the liver - probably an occupational hazard!

Cheers
Gary
Murray, Marshall, Baxter, Swan

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 October 07 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary

nice to meet you

The site I looked at was Lost distilleries 1885-1945

and the book was Scotch Missed-The Lost Distilleries of Scotland written by Brian Townsend  He has written a second one both listed in the Aberdeen Family History  Society and also in Libraries
I searched on google for both Jericho and Benachi  which is what the name changed to and there are a few sites out there which give a small mention  I seem to remember there is  mention a small museum in one of the still standing Buildings which I must look into as there may be a picture somewhere of William Smith  He may not have married Georges mother but he is still his blood relative so I gusess I will be following this up again soon I am still trying to find Amelia's death.........Ho Hum!.........I guess she could also have known your William  Did he come from Culsamond
Anyway   hope I have helped    Happy hunting....
 Ronnie

Offline UglyDuckling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 21 October 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those links Ronnie - I'll follow them up

From what I can gather from the Sites and Monuments Record, the old Gauger's house is still lived in and the Bonded warehouse still stands but much of the rest of the distillery has been altered or demolished. I live not too far away so I'll maybe take a detour past it some day!

My William Murray wasn't from Culsalmond but from Forgue, about 15 miles away where his wife and children remained while he lived and worked at the distillery, but he would have certainly known your forebears in such a small community.

Cheers
Gary
Murray, Marshall, Baxter, Swan