Author Topic: Death Certificate - No Parents!  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Certificate - No Parents!
« on: Monday 29 September 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

In trying to find the death certificate of a relation, William McIndoe (also spelt Macindoe) I obtained this death certificate from scotlandspeople and frustratingly there is a line through where the parents details should have been. I have also wasted a fair few credits checking other potentials with no success.

This seemed the best option as his year of birth was 1882, but without seeing parents there will always be a nagging doubt that it is definitely him.  Is there any other avenue for me to turn to validate this certificate as being my relation?

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate - No Parents!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom 23 (again!)
     If William's DC gives his wife's name, try looking for his marriage certificate. Another option is to track any siblings marriages & deaths. Have you found his parents DCs and who registered their deaths? That usually includes an address if different from the person who died.
     If he had children, sometimes their names can be a clue. (Scottish naming pattern: 1st son named after the father's father. 2nd son after the mother's father. 1st daughter named after the mother's mother. 2nd daughter after the father's mother) However, not all families named their children in that order so it's not foolproof!
     Good luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Dod,

Unfortunately the informant of death is the medical superintendant.

Also he survived all siblings and none of them had children, his last surviving immediate family member, his mother died in 1922 and the address on his death certificate is not one I have come across before.  Also he was an architect draughtsman before WW1, then he inherited a lot of money in 1922 and probably did not have to work again but the occupation on the death certificate is clerk.

What I don't get is his death is not like instantaneous like getting hit by a train or something, so why would the hospital not have this information from him?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Unfortunately it could be that this William McIndoe had not provided /was unable to provide/ or was not asked his parents details when he was admitted to hospital. If when he'd died no details could be found it would have led to his death being registered without parents names recorded.
His birth certificate which would have given the info would likely not been with him at the time of death. I'm not sure how much effort :-[ staff would have gone into looking for these details.   
Does the death certificate give any other clue i.e. occupation of deceased. I assume from your earlier reply he had never married.
Another suggestion would be a newspaper obit? But if he had no family left , who would put his death in the paper??  ???
Looby :)

Amended  - Apologies just rereading thread and realised you have stated that William McIndoe's death cert has him as a Clerk  when your chap was an architect draughtsmen. "Clerk" sounds like a wide umbrella to stick a chap under when maybe they weren't really sure of his occupation.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
What about applying for his medical records just to see if there is any further information contained in them?  Not sure where these would be, mind you :( but I'm sure I've heard that people have managed to get them before.

Also, you say he had inherited a lot of money but there also seems to be dubiety about any family members still being around, could his estate have fallen to the Crown?  Would the NAS/NRS have details of these from the Ultimus Haeres Department at the PF's Office?

Also, I wonder if his usual residence was a bought house/flat?  If so, for the transfer of title/sale of the property to be registered at the Land Registry, Confirmation of the Estate would be required and so you may get details from that with the NRS/NAS?
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
....Another suggestion would be a newspaper obit? But if he had no family left , who would put his death in the paper??  ???
Looby :)
That's what I thought of.
I checked the online Glasgow Herald for 4th-9th March, 1962 but no obit.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 September 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom 23,
     That's certainly a tough one. How sad to live that long and have no living relatives left. Sounds like he may have been diabetic. (Gangrene feet)
     I'm assuming he inherited from his mother since he inherited in 1922, the same year she died. ScotlandsPeople has both a Will and an Inventory (10 Credits each) for a Janet MacIndoe/Duncan/MacColl, Widow, Partick, Glasgow who died 10/8/1922, although, if this is his mother, it won't help you identify the William who died 1962.
     Would it be possible to find out if William left a Will?
     Sorry I couldn't be any help. Good luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 September 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
You may find that you are not allowed access to medical records for people who died less than 100 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 September 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Would it be possible to find out if William left a Will?

Yes. If he left a will, the will should be in the National Records of Scotland. It won't be indexed online as it is after 1925, so you need to contact them and ask. www.nas.gov.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.