Author Topic: brothers John and William RICHMOND, alive 1842  (Read 4922 times)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: brothers John and William RICHMOND, alive 1842
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 October 14 01:45 BST (UK) »
Monica,

Going through the responses, one by one, you said ;

So we have Marion and William's marriage from the OPRs in 1819. Then I saw this entry with the birth of a child Elizabeth (which I thought might connect with Marion's possible name). Would fit as first born to William and Marion, also in the right area of the marriage in the Gorbals....however, there is an additional surname of Moody. Adding it now in case we can find anything that connects:  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQHP-LPX

I am having trouble finding this birth, that you refer to. (The link is obviously from your previous point)

Regards
Grantley

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 October 14 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Your resource http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC is a new resource for me.

I took your link, found the 4th Nov 1862 issue and found the article. But I cannot get a resolution as readable as you have. Is there a trick?

Also, is there a search option? I am envious that you found the article “Dissolution of Copartnery”. I can’t see how you managed to find it? Obviously, I would love the facility to search these papers.
Besides, I can only see 3 issues for February 1826, being 10th, 24th & 26th. No 13th Feb 1826 issue.

Regards Grantley

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 October 14 09:47 BST (UK) »

I am having trouble finding this birth, that you refer to. (The link is obviously from your previous point)

No wonder you are having a problem seeing that info...as I added the wrong link, sorry  :P

It is just the Moody name that is an issue likely. Not sure if this is a mistake on the index or how it has been transcribed. Or the name of Moody had a meaning we do not know about or. Or as important, it is an unconnected entry and nothing to do with the family. However, Richmond and Pearman/Pairman etc are not that common as surnames.

The one I meant to add was this one here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1ST-2QH

This links as you know are just for the index of entries of Family Search. The only place to view the original images for these entries from the Old Parish Registers (OPRs) is on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk 

OPR entries are always a gamble unfortunately. They can be very limited in terms of info and detail given they were all before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855. There is no certainty as to what you will find on the entry until you use credits to view (costs are reasonable).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 October 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Regarding getting better resolution, you need to use the magnifying tool on the screen. I normally click at least two times, if not more, to view most articles with a good image size and resolution.

This is the tool I mean here that shows on the page that you are looking at once you are viewing an issue:

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you, I see your “Moody” reference.

After I have exhausted my basic search, I then purchase Scotlandspeople records. They are great and yes, a bit of a gamble. But, that is part of the fun.

Going through all these fabulous postings, I have noted on FamilySearch that Robert McFarlane RICHMOND married Eliza BOOTH 19th July 1829 and had a son Robert John RICHMOND (8 Nov 1833). A great head start for more research.

I am using Internet Explorer 11 and I was using the tools that you highlight. At least I was on track. Unfortunately there is an unexplained reason why I can’t get the better resolution that you get.

Never mind.

Regards
Grantley

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
Still on google news for the Glasgow Herald, have a look at the 23 February 1846, family BMD notices on page 2, bottom of col.6 where you have:

At Carlton Count on the 20th Instant, Mr John Richmond esq aged 81.

Would fit with the likely Will reference that Ev mentioned earlier on SP. Which include two entries:

John RICHMOND, Sr - 05/08/1847. Merchant in Glasgow and spouse of Agnes Richmond Muir. This is for a TRUST DISPOSITION AND SETTLEMENT at GLASGOW SHERIFF COURT WILLS. Ref. SC36/51/24 - 13 pages.

There is also a separate Inventory entry on the same date, ref. SC36/48/33 - 3 pages.

Monica    

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

With all this help, I am now on a roll.

8 children of John RICHMOND & Agnes MUIR ;
George, born/baptised 9 Jan 1791
William, born/baptised 20 Jan 1793
Janet, born/baptised 19 Mar 1795
John, born/baptised 26 Mar 1797
Agnes, born/baptised 18 May 1799
Robert McFarlane, born/baptised 26 Dec 1802
James, born/baptised 18 Jul 1807
Margaret, born/baptised 28 Jan 1815

Lots to purchase & lots to explore.

Regards
Grantley :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 October 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
 ;D A few weeks and months to work through there...enjoy  :)

Monica