Author Topic: Happer / Hopper  (Read 5183 times)

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Happer / Hopper
« on: Friday 14 June 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
trying to trace the siblings of Thomas Hopper born Borthwick, Edinburghshire 29th Oct 1801, the son of James Hopper, my 3x Gr Gr Father and Janet(?), born Eccles in Berwickshire 8th May 1785.
the only other is a brother Robert Hopper,  who I believe married a Margaret Patterson.

Thomas marries Jean/Jane Crow, born Greenlaw Feb 1804 on 23 May 1824 in Ayton, and died 28th July 1879 in Greenlaw.
Jean/ Jane Crow died in Edinburgh 15th June 1892 at the home of her daughter Jean WOOD.
I am struggling with the various different names etc.
They had 3 sons and 6 daughters (at Least) from 1824 till 1850. there may be others that were born and died between censuses.
Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: Happer / Hopper
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't help with siblings of Thomas Hopper but I can tell you his mother was Janet 'Middlemas' . I did a family tree for my friend and Thomas and Janet were her 3g grandparents (she is descended from their daughter Isabella Brown Hopper). I have a copy of Thomas's death cert which also states his wife was Jean Craw.

Hope Janet's surname helps you with your quest.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 June 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Terry for that information.
Due to the interpretation and transcriptions of the writing I have both Happer & Hopper, Crow & Craw, Jean & Jane and several versions of Middlemas, Midlemass, Middlemiss .  I also have Thomas Hopper being married to a Christian Matthewson before Jean Crow! with the following children, a girl 1787 - 1787 : son 1788 - 1788 : girl 1789 - 1789 : son 1791 : Thomas 1792 - 1850 (never Married) : Elizabeth 1794 - 1862 : and another girl 25th Jan 1796 , who died the same date , as did Christian Matthewson!

I also have about 4 generations of descendants from George Bain and Isobel Brown Hopper,
1 :-  1787 - 1796
2 :-  1815 - 1837
3 :-  1840 - 1873
4 :-  1882 - 1895   and that is as far as I have got at this stage.

I will send you a PM with direct email details
regards
JB
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 July 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Hi.  JB. 
Thomas Hopper was the son of JAMES HOPPER and Janet Middlemas.    I didn't know of him having a brother Robert though.   We think that the above James Hopper was the son of Thomas Hopper who was married to Christian Mathewson.   Coldingham.   

Hope you have some luck getting more info.  on the family of Hopper/Happer.

Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland