Author Topic: Renton of Lamberton  (Read 5557 times)

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Renton of Lamberton
« on: Monday 12 August 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am investigating my distant connections to Berwickshire and I know my 6th great grandfather's family were from the area. He was John Renton of Lamberton (died 1772). From a bit of googling, it seems that the ruined church at Lamberton (disused since 1650?) became the burial vault for a couple of local families, including the Rentons of Lamberton. Is anyone here familiar with this ruin? Is it likely any headstones within the ruin are readable all these years later, being a coastal location in the East of Scotland? I'd imagine that both John and his wife who predeceased him by 18 years are buried there.

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Renton of Lamberton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 August 13 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have looked at Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855 for Lamberton. No Rentons mentioned.

Mordington Parish Graveyard
Isabella daughter of George Renton died 15/05/1785 aged 69 years. Daughter Jane died 8/05/1788 aged 76 years.
Note: George is noted as tenant in Hutton

Old Graveyard at Mordington House
Mary Renton died 5/04/1743 aged 27 years

Fishwick
William Renton, died 12/10/1782 aged 55 years, tenant in Dykethead

George Renton died 11/09/1773 aged 73 years, tenant in Paxton
Wife Helen Lyll, died 12/04/1770 aged 64 years

There are other Renton inscriptions in other areas. If you need any other lookups, let me know.

Mags

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 August 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Mags,

the family were buried within the ruins of Lamberton Church itself. As I understand it, that church was closed in 1650 to merge with Mordington and thereafter 3 families used the building itself as a burial vault.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-15342-lamberton-church-and-graveyard-including-

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry I can't be of help. Only names recorded in Lamberton are Brown, Home, Johnston, Lee, Logan, Menon, Midlmis, Miller, Nisbet, Ord, Paterson, Purdie, Runciman, Trotter, Windrham, Wood.

Unsure if the following contacts would be helpful. I have contacted East Lothian and found them very helpful. Perhaps the Scottish Society will be similar.

http://www.eastlothianantiquarians.org.uk/site/

http://www.socantscot.org/

Berwickshire has a Naturalist Club too.

Perhaps you know this already. On ScotlandsPeople there is a testament for John Renton, dated 21/01/1653 of Lamertoune, Lauder Commissary Court, 3 pages, Ref CC15/5/3.

Also, have you seen the book, History of Coldingham Priory by Alexander Allan Carr (online)? Perhaps that's where you got some of your information.

Mags

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry I can't be of help. Only names recorded in Lamberton are Brown, Home, Johnston, Lee, Logan, Menon, Midlmis, Miller, Nisbet, Ord, Paterson, Purdie, Runciman, Trotter, Windrham, Wood.

Unsure if the following contacts would be helpful. I have contacted East Lothian and found them very helpful. Perhaps the Scottish Society will be similar.

http://www.eastlothianantiquarians.org.uk/site/

http://www.socantscot.org/

Berwickshire has a Naturalist Club too.

Perhaps you know this already. On ScotlandsPeople there is a testament for John Renton, dated 21/01/1653 of Lamertoune, Lauder Commissary Court, 3 pages, Ref CC15/5/3.

Also, have you seen the book, History of Coldingham Priory by Alexander Allan Carr (online)? Perhaps that's where you got some of your information.

Mags

Thanks very much for the above, I shall give it a look. The information I have about the Rentons being buried at/in Lamberton Church I only discovered yesterday, on the link provided. John Renton seems to have inherited from his father (also John) in 1742 and the will you point out is likely a great grandfather or thereabouts.

The different spellings of names make this a tricky one. He was known as John Renton of:
Lammerton
Blackadder in the Merse
Lamberton
Lamertoun
Lamertoune
Lamerton

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 August 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

http://www.thepeerage.com/p21270.htm#i212699

This link gives information that Robert Campbell-Renton lived at Mordington House and was buried at Mordington.

Mags

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 August 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

http://www.thepeerage.com/p21270.htm#i212699

This link gives information that Robert Campbell-Renton lived at Mordington House and was buried at Mordington.

Mags

Thanks Mags,

as I understand it, the above person is the 2nd great grandson of the John Renton of Lamberton I'm particularly interested in. A fair bit is known about some of John Renton's descendants, but so little seems known about the people between his father (John Renton of Lamberton ? -Jun 27 1742)  and those before.

I'm hoping there is something of note in the family vault at Lamberton, which going by the above had fallen out of use by the 1950s when Robert Campbell-Renton died if he was buried at Mordington. but from what you have said it doesn't seem promising.

Offline ruthsaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 14 03:33 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Looking for info on Isabel Nisbet and Robert trotter . they were married lived in Berwick possibly Lauder. Would apprecaite all info found on Headstones Mi for Lamerton

Kind regards Ruth

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruth,

Familysearch.org  has a marriage for a Robert Trotter and Isabel Nisbet at Westruther on 26 May 1764. Is this the couple you are asking about?

Mags