Author Topic: SKARR / SCARR  (Read 7747 times)

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SKARR / SCARR
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 February 13 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Seeking help with marriage records of Robert Metcalfe Scarr to Ruth Elizabeth Hargreaves.
1st born John George Scarr 1888 Cockerton Durham.ENG Also ch. records of Ruth's,please? She died 4 May 1935 Cockerton. B abt 1865 East Cowton?

Cheers
Velcro

Offline BlueScouser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 November 14 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Daniel111,
I have been researching my Scarr family for almost 20 years (originally Roy Scarr and I collaborated) and (most) of my information is backed by documented proof (actual images of baptisms, marriage, death, wills, etc). I have evidence that James did indeed marry twice. First to Ellen Claughton 25 Apr 1731 and second to Jane Coulson 20 May 1745.  Incidentally, James' parents were George Scarr and Ann Clarkson they married 6 Aug 1701 again I have this marriage record. What intrigues me is your statement:

......my records show that a James Scarr did marry May 20th 1745 but to a Jane Coulson/Coulton and not to a Jane Cloughton.
I do not know which James Scarr this is but it is not the one who married Ellen Cloughton as they were still baptising children at and after 1745.

Baptism records in most cases do NOT show the mother's name only the father. So how can you be certain that "they" (Ellen Claughton and James) were still baptising children after 1745?

Also, my tree is by far perfect but its backed by factual documentation so I tend to trust it (mostly ;) but I do not have 10 children to James and Ellen Claughton. In fact I have 2 children (John and Jane) to Ellen and 3 children to James and Jane Coulson (George, Ellen and Jane). Of course I am always open to adding other children if the documented evidence, rathe than hearsay is given.

In any case, I am more than happy to exchange information and data in regards to the Skarr/Skarr family. Please PM me to discuss.
Researching Scarr/Skarr and Kettlewell from Akrigg/Aysgarth areas.

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with your research.

I shall do my very best to avoid hearsay.
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Offline BlueScouser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 November 14 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Daniel,
Please accept my deepest apology. It is clear that I chose my words incorrectly. I did not wish to slight you in any way.
I simply meant, if there are documents to prove the other children then this would be acceptable. I didn't wish to infer your research was based on hearsay. It came out wrongly. What I meant to say was that I have communicated with many Scarr researches in the past and many cannot backup their data with proof. Often it is data obtained from other researchers who in turn have obtained it from someone else without proof. So, I meant to say, I would be happy to add and/or change my tree if backed up by documented evidence.
Anyway, after reading back my response I fully understand your anger.

But getting back to my quote, I am still intrigued. Maybe you have verifiable data that shows both parents at baptism. But my experience shows that rarely is the mother's name given in a baptism register. How are you certain that the baptisms between James and Ellen Claughton continued after 1745?
Researching Scarr/Skarr and Kettlewell from Akrigg/Aysgarth areas.

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 December 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Another Skarr member to add.  I have Mary Alice Skarr who married John Eglin 21 Dec 1726 at Hawes.  Other than this I have found nothing about her and would welcome suggestions to fit her into a Skarr or Scarr family  Thank you

Offline Inthedaleann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 March 24 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, my 11 x Grandfather is also Jenkins Scarr. Really interested in following this chat.  This line comes down my paternals mother line.