Author Topic: Police records for police officer serving in Whitby in 1920's and early 30's.  (Read 1437 times)

Offline KarlaTully

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Police records for police officer serving in Whitby in 1920's and early 30's.
« on: Wednesday 17 September 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
Help.

My grandfather Ernest Victor Ellis born 1901 in Hampshire was a serving PC in Whitby from 1926 to the mid 1930's.  He definitely lived in Whitby 1932 as my Dad Ronald Edward Ellis was born there.  I know he also served as the local bobby in Great Broughton during WW2.

I do not have his service number.

I have tried to find Yorkshire police service archives but failed.  Can anyone help?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Police records for police officer serving in Whitby in 1920's and early 30's.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi....I have asked for your post to be moved to the North Yorkshire Board for a more informed response.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Police records for police officer serving in Whitby in 1920's and early 30's.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 September 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would try the County Records Office in Northallerton.  Here's a link to the contact details http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/23785/Record-office---plan-your-visit

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline KarlaTully

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

I have e mailed them as the search facility did not show anything.
 :-\

Offline gpearey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Karla,

Please could you let me know what response you get from the North Yorkshire Archives as my grandfather was also a policeman in the North Riding of Yorkshire and I have failed to find where any records were kept on the internet.

Many thanks
Graham
Flintoff, Trotter, Glover, Pybus, Brown, Peacock, Bowes, Barker, Pease (all North Riding of Yorkshire area).

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 14 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Karla and gpeary,

You may be interested in a collection of Police paperwork which was found in a drawer and disposed of in Whitby.  It is records from the North Riding Constabulary which included Whitby.

The collection includes "The Register of Appointments" from 1896 to 1974, and also has some other interesting bits which may mention your ancestor, in particular he may have been referred to in "General Orders" some of which are in this collection.

The records are held by:

Ripons Museum Trust
The Workhouse Museum
Allhallowgate
Ripon

Tel 01765 690799

The collection is mentioned at the National Achives

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=2791-north&cid=0#0

It may be worth contacting the Museum Trust.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865