Author Topic: HENDERSON Enniskillen, Fermanagh  (Read 34485 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HENDERSON Enniskillen, Fermanagh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 00:48 BST (UK) »
Maybe depends on what browser you're using. Could this be it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52897031@N06/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
 Try searching for     'flickr' and when you find the flickr site, do a search for Magheracross Fermanagh.  This should bring you to some of the graves I have photographed, and if you can read any inscriptions, it would be helpful if you were to record them on the flickr site .................Let me know if you still have problems.

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
and yes Aghadowey has the right site.  Couldn't have done better myself

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 August 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Fin...I looked at the graves....One in perticular caught my eye...James Copeland of Lisbellaw. I also noticed to the right side of flick page it says "Boles pictures"...LOL Are you my cousin in Ireland by any chance, and I didn't recgnize this name? LOL

Too funny if you are! LOL

Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline dhontario

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Ok...help!  I thought I knew what I was looking for and found many clues in what I believe is in 'my' right direction, but then I found this thread and I'm not so certain.

I am decended from a William Henderson (with brothers John and Mathew) born in 1815 in Fermanagh near Enniskillen and emigrated to Canada in about 1848.  I stumbled on some old family notes that point to their townland being Cashel (or Cash Hill).  I had assumed that to be in Inishmacsaint parish as I have also found some old parish records on line that seem to have a high probability that I am on the right track.

But then I read this thread and am confused??  There is another townland in Magheracross also called Cashel (Kash hill, Cash Hill) populated by Hendersons?  Ugh!

Can anyone give me a mid 1800's Northern Ireland geography lesson, or point me to an old map online?  I understand the relationship of Townland to Parish to Barony to County to Province, but without a map showing townlands, how can I sort out which one is more reasonable or appropriate to my search?  Or is this one of those questions that really has no answer?

~ Dave

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 18:16 GMT (UK) »
The attached link takes you to an Ordnance Survey map of Ireland. If you click on the 6" historic map it takes you to a mid 1800s map which shows townlands.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0

You have to increase the magnification till the townlands show.
Elwyn

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
 There is another townland in Magheracross also called Cashel (Kash hill, Cash Hill) .....

to check the names of the townlands in a particular civil parish
check the townland database at www.thecore.com/seanruad

e.g. on the search page select county Fermanagh and
then enter Magheracross in the civil parish search box..

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dhontario

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  Thanks Elwyn...This is the mapping system I've been searching for!  I found what I was looking for (although the map is so cool, I think I have a new hobby).

Also thanks to Shane - you both got back so quickly.  Shane, using your suggested Townland search database, I easily confirmed that Cashel (or however you want to spell it) was in Inishmacsaint Parish, not Magheracross.  The Hendersons in Magheracross I highly doubt are related to me.  However, Sue in NY - I think we may have a (distant) connection through Anne

~ Dave

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave!
   Yes I agree. Your info seems very interesting to me. The comment above in ref to Magheracross was by my cousin in Ireland. He is also connected to the same line and his comment was more I believe in telling me about HENDERSON graves there.

My HENDERSON were listed as being from Cash Hill/Kesh Hill (not sure). One thing I AM sure of....In a book from the 1800s in ref to Methodism (would have to check notes for exact info) it talks of how the HENDERSONS lived in Drumbulcan and the younger children would sneak out to attend mettings of the Methodist ministers of that time. (later 1700s). The parents were so mad they would deny them food, lock them in their rooms and beat them. But the children continued. It mentions how Ann HENDERSON was sent for awhile to live with the LITTLE family in Florencecourt. And a foot note on the page says how some young woman were married to men in the faith of Methodism. It says "Anne HENDERSON was married to James COPELAND of Lisbellaw". Those are my ggg grandparents!

I do have some "other" info in ref to the background of Ann. Haven't found proof yet .....but it is info that has been passed down.

Sue in NY
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I