Author Topic: Fernleigh or Fernlea farm in Colehill, Wimborne, Dorset 1940's  (Read 2684 times)

Offline toastbutler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Fernleigh or Fernlea farm in Colehill, Wimborne, Dorset 1940's
« on: Wednesday 21 November 12 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find this house possibly a dairy farm with connections to Hall family. The family I am looking for were dairy farmers but ventured into dairy retailing in the 1930's / 50's.

I have an address on a birth certificate 1941:
"Fernlea" Cole Hill near Wimborne.

I have looked at all the online records I could think of but have found nothing.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any help would be much appreciated.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Fernleigh or Fernlea farm in Colehill, Wimborne, Dorset 1940's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

An email to Wimborne library might yield some information;  Colehill library is too small and now run by volunteers; I live in the area.  ;)

The Priest's House museum in Wimborne might also be able to help.

I've had a look at my 1900 map of Wimborne Minster but it only covers a small area of Colehill and there's nothing obvious.

I suppose you've checked telephone directories. Could "Fernlea" have been a nursing home? There are still several old houses in the Colehill area but new owners might have changed the name.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toastbutler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 20:04 GMT (UK) »
  Colehill library is too small and now run by volunteers; I live in the area.  ;)
Nanny Jan

The Colehill library is a good suggestion. I am trying to help a friend as he has hit a brick wall.
He was adopted in the 1940's but this is where his mother (now deceased) was living at the time.

Have you a contact for the Colehill Library please? Thanks for your response.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Wimborne library is much bigger and does hold a wealth of local information, old maps etc.

Phn: 01202  882770   or  wimbornelibraryATdorsetcc.gov.uk        * replace AT with @*

Colehill library is a "part-time" library  01202 886676  or colehilllibraryATdorsetcc.gov.uk

Priest's House museum   01202  2533  or  priestshouseATeastdorset.gov.uk

failing those:

Dorset History Centre in Dorchester :   01305   250550   or  archivesATdorsetcc.gov.uk

I hope one of those can help you;  good luck!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toastbutler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It must have taken quite a time to give all the contact details so thanks for that. I will contact Wimborne Library first and take it from there.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Janet K L Seal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Fernlea/Fernleigh sounds as if it could have been on the Hampreston/Ferndown side of Colehill. Don't forget that Hampreston used to have its boundary at Pilford Heath Road until 1895 and pines were planted much later on Cannon and Wimborne Rd Colehill so more land could have been used for agriculture.
However if you can get access to the old Milk Marketing Board records they may give you a pointer to that particular Hall family.
Could the house still be standing?
I have a local history database but no farm of that name mentioned.
Good luck with your hunt.

Offline toastbutler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 February 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Janet for your interest. It has been a while since I first posted this topic. Since then my friend has been able to find out about what happened to his (now deceased) mother after he was adopted. The clincher came with the help of a paid researcher local to Wimborne who found his mother and her new husband in the 1956 and 1958 electoral roll living at the address known to him. That gave her new married name which then allowed him to trace his half brothers. Happy to say that after writing to them they are now "united" after all these years. He still has to find the address "Fernleigh" in that area so I will pass on to him your ideas.
Thanks again, Dave.