Author Topic: Fooks of Symondsbury  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Fooks of Symondsbury
« on: Thursday 21 August 14 05:25 BST (UK) »
 Can someone help me sort out the enormous number of Fooks in Dorsetshire ? My ancestor Christopher Hussey (1803-1837) was baptised as the illegitimate son of Mary Hussey (1783-1843) Mary married Robert Fooks (1779-1857) in 1805 but had known him for some time as she was present at the wedding of John Fooks ? to Joan Payne ? in 1802 along with Robert and Charles Fooks ?. Therefore in my family tree I count Robert Fooks as the possible/probable father of Christopher Hussey and seek his ancestry. I have as his father Robert Fooks (1749-1827) and mother Betty Yard baptised 1762, married 1773. The banns give his father as John V.----- ?  Betty Yard has parents William and Hannah which I can't find.  Any help appreciated Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Fooks of Symondsbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,
Source: Somerset & Dorset Family History Society - www.sdfhs.org
St John the Baptist, Symondsbury, Dorset, Burials:-
18/03/1816, FOOKS, Betty, aged 76
17/09/1827, FOOKS, Robert, aged 77
01/07/1843, FOOKS, Mary, aged 62
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will help or not!
All are in Symondsbury; William Hussey married Ann Fooks 15/2/1776-possibly Mary's parents-she as you say was born in 1783.
Also as you say Mary Hussey married Robert Fooks 1805-children which you probably know are; Elizabeth 1807;Ann 1808;Thomas 1810;John 1812;Martha 1814;Eliza 1818;Harriett 1820 and Mary 1822.
Robert Fookes married Betty Yard as you say in 1773 swiftly followed by the birth of John 13/12/1773; also William 1782-couldn't find any between these dates. Betty seems to have been born 27/6/1762 , which makes her age at 11 years when she gave birth to her son, so perhaps something a bit wrong with the dates on line.
John Fookes married as you say Joan Payne 4/11/1802-Joan was from Chideock.
Charles Fookes married Ann Oxenbury 11/8/1772;children Charles 1773;Martha 1776 and Robert 1782.
It is possible that John, Charles and the Robert who married Mary are all brothers, but I can't prove that.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 August 14 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Victor and Paco for your input.
Betty seems to have been born 27/6/1762 , which makes her age at 11 years when she gave birth to her son, so perhaps something a bit wrong with the dates on line.  I have that but 1762 is a baptism date. My problem is the repetition of names and the movement of some to Somerset and Devon, even Kent. Somewhat confusing. I used to use LDS Family search.org a lot but  that site has changed and I go round in circles clicking this that and the other and not getting to the records at all
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Fooks of Symondsbury and Dorset
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 August 14 05:58 BST (UK) »
I'm starting again from Mary Hussey's marriage. Did she marry Robert, son of Robert & Betty ? or son of Robert & Mary or son of Charles & Ann ?

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 August 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
Mary Hussey was the daughter of Samuel and Ann according to Dorset Family History Society, baptised 4/8/1783, so you can disregard my suggestion that she might be the daughter of William and Ann Hussey.
On the FreeREG site the marriage of Betty Yard and Robert Fooks 16/2/1773 states that Robert's father was John Fooks.
At the marriage of Mary Hussey and Robert Fooks 9/7/1805 the witnesses are Thomas Fooks and Charles Fooks, so it is only a guess but I think Robert must be the son of Robert and Betty with her Uncle Charles as one of the witnesses.
I don't know if you have found them later in census records where you might be able to sort their ages out-the 1841 doesn't give accurate years of birth because they are rounded up.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks