Author Topic: Robart VAGE (Robert VAGUE)  (Read 4636 times)

Offline rvague

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robart VAGE (Robert VAGUE)
« on: Thursday 15 December 11 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for ancestors of Robert Vague (Robart Vage), born 1620 in Luxulyan and married to Susannah. I would appreciate any help.

There is also some question of perhaps the Vague's being French Huguenots, but I have been unable to verify that

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Robart Vage (Robert Vague)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I cant specifically help but Cornwall OPC has these;

MARRIAGES;
VAGUE William, 13 February 1601, Luxulyan, to KATHRIN
VAGUE John, 26 October 1618, Luxulyan, to ELLEZEBETH
VAGUE Robert, 17 June 1644, Luxulyan, to SUSAN

BURIAL of a SUSANNA Vague, 01 April 1694, Luxulyan

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rvague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish

These are some new names for me. I believe the Robert Vague, born 1620 and married in 1644 to Susan(ah), born 1621 is what I have.

The marriages
VAGUE William, 13 February 1601, Luxulyan, to KATHRIN
VAGUE John, 26 October 1618, Luxulyan, to ELLEZEBETH

are new to me and will research them.

I have also found that a William Vage married Margaret Younge in 1590 with the following offspring: Thomas Vage, 1612, Pascow Vage 1690, Jonathan Vage 1603, Constance Vage 1621, and Margaret Vage, 1606. Not sure of the link to Robert Vague, born 1620.

I appreciate your efforts with my search. Are you a Vague relative?

Russell Vague

Additionally, I found Richard Vage married Magdalen Pratt (Prutt) in 1570. Don't know the link.

Offline rvague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 December 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
i have located some other Vague's (Vage's) from Luxulyan but can't verify a link to Robert Vague, born 1620
They are:
Henrie Vage, father of Annes Vague born 1622 Luxulyan
William Vage married Margaret Younge, 1590 Luxulyan, children Thomas Vage, b 1612, Pascow Vage b 1609, Jonathan Vage b 1603, Constance Vage b 1621, Margaret Vage b 1606

Richard Vage married Magdalen Pratt /Prutt, Dorset England 1570

And some Vagge's (relation unknown) from Paignton, Devon.  Roger Vagg b 1542, with children John Vagge b 1562 and Bernard Vagge b 1564.  Bernard Vagge had 3 children, Roger Vagge b 1592, John Vagge b 1594, and Wilmot Vagge b 1590.

Anyone know of any links of the Vagges in Paignton to Vague's in Luxulyan?

Offline RJVague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robart VAGE (Robert VAGUE)
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Russell and Trish,
I can’t connect the Vagues of Paignton, Devon to the Vagues of Luxulyan but the Roger who was born 1592 might be this one: - Jeffery Vague, son of Roger and Thomasin, was born in St Stephen by Launceston in 1621. Launceston is not far from Trevague which might be where our name originated.

Other early Vagues  
About forty five kilometres southwest of Altarnun, on the south coast of Cornwall, and by the river Fowey, is the ancient fishing village of Polruan. In the late thirteenth century we find Matthew the Cornishman, burgess of Polruan referring to the home of William Vag: -

Feoffment in tail Rent: 3d.
(i) Matthew, the Cornishman, burgess of Polruan
(ii) Alice, his dau.
- ½ a house between the houses of Wm. Vag and of (i). (To hold of (i) to (ii) and hrs. of her flesh legitimately begotten with reversion to (i). Suit of court once yearly. If in mercy to be quit for 1d. For a plea of one day the forfeiture shall be determined by view of worthy men chosen from each side. Clause of warranty)
Witd. Nicholas Trenred, Ric. Tynner, sen., Ric. Samson, Jn. Hora, Nicholas Hora
Seal on tag, green wax, "E"

In 1449, at East Looe, Richard Vage witnessed a document:-
Feoffment
(i) Isabella, wid. of Hugh Gola
(ii) Ric. Chyket of Callington
- all (i)'s mess. land and ten. in East Looe.
Witnessed. Wm. Trethewy, Ric. Vage, Jn. Clerk, Roger Tresavsyn, Robt. More
Seal on tag, brown   

Cheers,
Ros

Offline rvague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ros

Found a Robert Vague, born in Cornwall in 1550 and apparently related to Robert Vague born 1620 in Luxulyan. A family named "Sukkert" lists both Robert Vague's as being ancestors, but do not detail any link between the two Roberts.

Regards,

Russ

Offline RJVague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Russ,
The 1550 Robert is highly likely to be a relative but without proper sources we can't claim him as an ancestor. These old Vagues are really popping up out of the woodwork!
Ros

Offline RJVague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again Russ,
I've been looking at the Vagges of Paignton, Devon. I cant' connect them with the Luxulyan family but I see there was also a Vagg/e family in Burlescombe, Devon. Seeing as the spelling is the same and they are both in Devon I guess there is a connection between those two families.
The Burlescombe Vagge family had a Georgii Vagg/e bp. 1614, son of Georgii Vagge. Their was also a Richardus Vagge bp. 1617, son of Georgii.
Georgii 1614 had; Elizabetha 1641 and 1649, Agneta 1643, Nicholaui 1643, Richardus 1645, and Catherine 1650.
It looks like Richardus 1617 went to Wedmore, Somerset and he and Editha were the parents of Richard Vagg who married Marie. Richard/i and Mari/e/a had Edith 1661, Maria 1662, Richardus 1663, Richardus 1664-1669.
Also in Wedmore was a Rogeri Vag who was the father of Richardus 1680. Gracia Vagg was buried 1644, the daughter of Thoma and Jane Vagg.
The name Roger/i could be a clue to a connection with the Paignton Vagge family. Speaking of which - the Roger born 1592 in Paignton died in 1594 so he was not the father of Jeffery born 1621 in St Stephen by Launceston.
All this came from the familysearch website.
The Vagg family were in Somerset  in 1284 when they lived at Chilthorne Manor -  later called Chilthorne Vagg. They were not there in 1066. Trevague was in the Domesday Book in 1066.
I don't know if the Vague and Vagg families are connected but it's interesting that they both have a long history with the south of England. The Vagg family came to Australia on the same ship as the Vagues - they were nine years earlier - in 1840. We came out in 1849 also on The Himalaya   
Cheers, Ros