Author Topic: My Hughes & Griffiths ancestors from Nantmor  (Read 13220 times)

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
My Hughes & Griffiths ancestors from Nantmor
« on: Friday 13 March 09 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I recognise that it was only until the late 1890's that Nantmor was in Merionethshire.
Thereafter, it became part of Ca(e)rnarvonshire.
However, Beddgelert itself was 'always' part of Ca(e)rnarvonshire.
So I'm adding this topic under both Merionethshire & Ca(e)rnarvonshire.

=================================

Jane Hughes, my maternal grandmother, born on 27 Jun 1888 at Peniel Terrace, Nantmor was the youngest of four children. Her siblings were:-
* John Hughes, born on 12 Jul 1873 at Bryntirion, Nantmor
* Richard Hughes, born on 29? Dec 1876 at Bryntirion, Nantmor
* Ann/Annie Hughes, born on 23 Oct 1878 at Bryntirion, Nantmor

Their mother was Mary Jones who came from Llanystumdwy (Llanystymdwy)
Their father was Richard Hughes, born on 5 Oct 1845 at Hafod y Llynuchaf, Nantmor was the fifth of six children. His siblings were:-
* Catherine Hughes, baptised on 16 Jul 1837 at Beddgelert Parish Church
* Robert Hughes, baptised on 19 Apr 1840 at Beddgelert Parish Church
* Elizabeth Hughes, baptised on 18 Dec 1841 at Beddgelert Parish Church
* Edward Hughes, baptised on 12 Nov 1843 at Beddgelert Parish Church
* Griffith Hughes, baptised on 15 Jul 1849 at Beddgelert Parish Church

Their father was Daniel Hughes who died, aged 75 on 4 May 1876 at Bryntirion, Nantmor. Based on this & his Census entries, he was born c.1801 in Nantmor.
Their mother was Jane Griffiths who died, aged 85, on 15 Jun 1891 at at Bryntirion, Nantmor. Based on this & her Census entries, she was born c.1807 in Nantmor.

Daniel & Jane are shown on the 1841 Census living at Hafodllynuchaf, Nantmor. Also at the same address is a Robert Hughes who I'm assuming is Daniel's brother.

If anybody has more knowledge on the Hughes & Grfffiths families in Nantmor then I'd love to hear from you.

Equally, if anyone is able to view the Parish registers (or equivalent) for Nantmor & Beddgelert, I'd really appreciate if they would look up to see if they can find the marriage of Daniel & Jane -- I guess this would be  between 1832 & 1837 -- and the baptisms of Daniel & Jane plus that of Robert (who was, based on his post 1841 Census entries, born c.1809 in Nantmor).

Best regards to everyone
Rob Davies

Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd
Edwards & Thomas of Harlech/ Llandanwg
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============
Davies/David of Pentrych/ Cardiff , Glamorgan
David of Peterstone super Ely, Glamorgan
Morgan of Eglwysilan, Glamorgan
Miles of Peterstone super Ely

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Hughes & Griffiths ancestors from Nantmor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 09 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can't find marriage of Daniel & Jane. Forgot to look up baptism of Robert !

From 1799 to 1803 can only find one Daniel baptised:
25 May 1801 Daniel, the son of Edward Hughes, Hafod y Llyn, farmer, and Catherine his wife.

AS regards Jane, I suspect I might have looked up 2 years either side of Robert's expected birthdate instead of that of Jane, i.e. 1807 -1811. There were lots of Janes. One was Jane Griffith, born 1811, so it's probably the wrong one:
26th May 1811 ,Jane Wm., daughter of William Griffith of Dolfriog and Catherine his wife .
I'll recheck Jane, and look up Robert, next week (if I remember!).
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Emyr, many thanks very much for your efforts so far.

The baptism of Daniel Hughes on 25 May1801 is very promising as it not only matches my previous best estimate but it also shows his parents living at Hafod y Lynn, the same place as where Daniel & his wife Jane, nee Griffiths were living at the time of the 1841 Census & where their fifth child, Richard Hughes (my g gf) was born in 1845.

I'd  appreciate knowing from which parish records (I assume Beddgelert) you found this baptism.
I know it's cheeky, but could I ask you to also see if there are any other baptisms of children of Edward Hughes, Hafod y Llyn, farmer & his wife Catherine.

Are you related to either the Hughes or Griffiths from Nantmor or are you one of the wonderful people who just helps others like me?

By the way, I celebrated my 65th in August this year by having a week's holiday at Ruthin (where my birth was registered) with my wife, my four children & three of their spouses & the first seven of my g/children -- the eighth was born in late June in Stockholm & thus too young to travel to the UK (explains the absence of the 'missing' daughter-in-law).
On one day when everyone else went to Chester Zoo, my wife & I did a 130 miles round trip going first to Nantmor (& found both Peniel Terrace & Bryntirion - where my Nain was born & where she was living at the time of her marriage), next to Bontnewydd (where my Taid was born & was living at the time of his marriage) and then to Caernarfon (where my Nain & Taid married). A very special & memorable day for me.

Best regards, Rob Davies
Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Info is from Beddgelert Parish register. It's from the old type of book and sometimes difficult to read.
I'm not looking for info on this particular family, just thought I could help. I've recently become a regular visitor to the County Archives which is only 5 miles from where I live. I'm looking for info on an Elizabeth (don't know the surname), born Nantmor c. 1842.
I'll be going to the Archives next Wednesday, and there's a small chance I'll have time to call tomorrow. I'll see what further info I can find.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 09 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
First apologies for an error in a previous reply. Hafod y Llyn should have read Hafod y Llan. The former is near Nantmor and the latter in Nantgwynant. It might possibly be Hafod y Llun, a misspelling of Hafod y Llyn.
Found following:
26(?) Sept 1809 Robert, son of Edward Hughes of Hafod y Llyn and Catherine his wife.

The nearest I can find for Jane Griffiths around 1807 is:
9 March 1806, William Roberts, son of Griffith Roberts of Pen y Bont & Catherine his wife.
9 March 1806 Jane Griffith, daughter of
The rest of the line is blank which seems to imply that, "Griffith Roberts ......." applies to Jane Griffith as well. It seems quite common for a child to be given the father's first name as a surname. It seems quite common for a number of children of the same parents to be baptised at the same time, so that the above, if brother and sister, are not necessarily twins. I've seen a case of 9 children of the same parents being baptised at the same time, the eldest being I think 15 (the dates of birth were also recorded).

I've possibly got info on marriage of Daniel & Jane, but I've mislaid it. I'll get back to you on that. I'm trying to post this for the second time; system went down on me Friday evening so I'm having to retype it !
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your efforts Emyr.

It  may be wishful thinking on my behalf but your finding the baptism record on 26(?) Sep 1809 for Robert (son of Edward Hughes of Hafod y Llyn & Catherine his wife) convinces me that this is for the Robert Hughes is shown in the 1841 Census at Hafodllynuchaf, Nantmor with 'my' Daniel Hughes, with wife Jane & their first two children, Catherine & Robert -- and that he is Daniel's brother.

The baptism record you've found for Jane Griffith is also very interesting -- and I've found that the Prince Llewelyn Hotel, Beddgelert was built c1830 replacing a series of houses recorded on this site in the late C18 under the collective name of Pen-y-Bont. While I thought that my 2xg gm was born in Nantmor (as shown on her 1891 Census record) her 1851 - 1881 Census records show her birthplace as Beddgelert.

I know from my father's South Wales line that it was in the 1800's when an 's' was added to surnames -- David becoming Davies, Morgan becoming Morgans etc. This would explain why her maiden surname is shown as Griffiths of the birth certificate of my g gf, Richard Hughes.

I also understand (& have seen an example from a marriage certificate) that the patronymic system was still occurring in Wales in the early 1800's.

Hopefully, when you find the info on Daniel & Jane's marriage it will have the names of thier fathers.

Best wishes, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 November 09 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've realised that info from BMD site re marriage of a Daniel Evans was outside the time limits. It was for Carnarvon registration district (Beddgelert is Ffestiniog), and I failed to find the marriage in the 4 parishes within Carnarvon registration district that are nearest to Beddgelert. There is a register of marriages up to 1837 and there was nothing under Beddgelert there. Nantmor is near to the boundary of Beddgelert and Llanfrothen parishes, so marriage may have been at Llanfrothen. I'll have a further look at the records if I go to the Archives on Wednesday.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 November 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've been to Dolgellau Archives Office. Like you I'm stuck on finding info on a marriage of somebody from Nantmor around 1840, who might be an ancestor of mine. She possibly married someone from Penrhyndeudraeth. The parish registers for Llanfrothen, which borders on Nantmor, and for Llanfihangel y Traethau, which includes Penrhyndeudraeth, are at Dolgellau. I've looked at the index of marriages up to 1937 for these parishes and a couple of adjoining parishes, and have failed to locate the marriage of Daniel Hughes. I'd previously checked the indexes up to 1937 at  Caernarfon, but not the Beddgelert Parish register as it was not available (under repair). I've now looked at the fiche copies of the Bishop's Transcripts and have again failed to find anything. I previously mentioned having located a marriage on the BMD free index, but outside the time limits; also the wife's surname was Jones not Griffiths. This marriage between Daniel Hughes and Jane Jones, was in the Carnarvon Registration district in March 1840 quarter. I have failed to find this marriage in the 4 Parish Registers of Carnarvon district which are nearest to Beddgelert. I MIGHT be able to trace living relatives of your family, and will send a PM later re. this.
Four pieces of info concerning your ancestors I picked up while looking for info on my ancestors, which you might be aware of but not mentioned. Burial of Edward Hughes, Hafod y Llyn, 15 May 1835, aged 62. Baptism on 22 March 1805 of Richard Hughes, son of Edward Hughes of Hafod y LLyn, and Catherine his wife. Baptism 31 May 1807 of William, son of Edward Hughes, Hafod y Llyn Uchaf and Cath his wife. Elizabeth Hughes' baptism is shown twice, 18 Dec 1841 and again in January 1842, day not clear.
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 November 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr & once again thanks very much for the information that you've provided.

Edwards Hughes' burial plus the baptisms of his sons Richard & William were all new for me.
Thanks to you, not only have I been able to confirm that Daniel & Robert Hughes were brothers but also, I now know that their parents were Edward & Catherine and that they (Daniel & Robert) had at least two other siblings, Richard & William.

I was already aware of the two baptism entries for Elizabeth Hughes (the second according to FreeReg was on 30 Jan 1842) but it's good to be confirmed by someone who has looked at the actual parish registers.

If you come across anything else (baptisms, marriages & deaths) of the Hughes & Griffiths families from Nantmor, then this will be wonderful.

Emyr, once again thanks for all your efforts -- it's been fantastic.
My best wishes, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============