Author Topic: Help with address on 1841 Census. Completed.  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with address on 1841 Census. Completed.
« on: Friday 05 February 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Could anyone help or have any idea of where this address is on this 1841 census, on the list from Ancestry.co.uk it states, it is in the Llanegryn civil parish but I am unable to locate it on any maps.
I believe Cefncoch would either be a large farm or the name of a road but I am unable to decypher the name of the township. Would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you,
Retpara

Offline yorkiechris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with address on 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
From the census it would appear that the address is in the township of Rhydyrhin which was in the parish of Llanegrin, very close to the sea and just above the river Dyssynny.
It doesn't appear to be still there but if you look at Google Earth you can ruins of what appears to be houses around that area.
You can see them just to the left of the station labelled Tonfanau

There is also a bit about the township on genuki   
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/Llanegryn/Gaz1868.html

Hope this helps.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Many many thanks yorkiechris this is perfect, it fits in with my search as my great grandfather whom
married the person I am looking for  lived at Tonafanau farm which was in exactly the same spot but I could not work out the name of Rhydyrhiw as I could not find it on any maps so everything is coming along nicely now, many thanks once again.
Retpara.

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Cefncoch is very much there and is on the Llanegryn to Rhosfefain road. The davies's used to live in Tonfannau Farm untill moving to Waun Fach as the Army built a camp there.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi jajones,

Thank you very much for your reply, I was wondering if you are familiar or have any knowledge of the area, as in YorkieChris's reply on the census it shows my descendants as living at Cefncoch in the township of Rhydyrhiw and there was a place right by Tonfanau farm of that name, but as you say on checking maps have found a Rhydyrhiw farm close to where you was saying Cefncoch was and was wondering if Cefncoch farm might have been owned by Rhydyrhiw farm in that time and if that would come under the title of township of Rhydyrhiw.

Many thanks Retpara.

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the note. I live in/ around the area but confess I've never head of Rhydyrhiw. Cefncoch is quite an imposing building and is now 2-3 houses from memory. I have friends in neighbouring Waunfach farm and could ask. The parish I suspect is Llanegryn as it's less than a mile away. Have you found Cefncoch on googlemap??
Alwyn.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Alwyn,

Many many thanks for your contribution and help it is much appreciated, as I live in South Wales I know nothing about the area.
If you check the link on Yorkie Chris's reply it gives Rhydyrhiw as roughly being on the mouth of the River Dysyny but is no longer there.
I believe an army camp was then built on the same area. I hope this will help in some way.

Once again many thanks.

Retpara.

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 April 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Retpara
Yes of couse, Tonfannau camp was built on Aber Dysynni.in the 1930ies, Rhydycriw therefore disappeared . Of course, Tonfannau Farm is still there and there were rumours that it had been recently bought. I will look up the Tithe Maps in the National Library but I've got a busy week this week but as I work next door will pop up in my lunchbreak. I'm intertested myself now!
Alwyn

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again. Interesting looking up the 1845 Tithemaps at the Nat Lib. The  farm is Rhyd-y-rhiw not criw. and is about 800 yds North West of Cefncoch. It does'nt look much bigger. It therefore is on the Rhoslefain side but still in Llanegryn. Llangelynin parish moves southward on the sea side to AberDysynni where the camp was, but there is an island (where the camp was) which is Llanegryn in the middle of Llangelynin!!
I hope that helps
Regards
Alwyn.