Author Topic: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington  (Read 29579 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
On the other thread , it's stated that a Peter Cairns enlisted in 1916 - I think Monica provided the info-
quote-    There is a Peter Cairns showing in Service Records who enlisted, I think, early May 1916 at the age of 25. Born in Glasgow, a labourer by occupation and residing at the time at Reilly's Lodging House, Haddington. This Peter's details show as Reg. - The Royal Scots Div. and Reg. No. - 3942.

Service record matches above and they include the record of the execution and matching date.

Is this the same person as Peter/William Cairnie? 
Reilly's lodging house was in Bridge Street Haddington and was probably owned by a Martin or Cornelius Reilly according to https://mbasic.facebook.com/260724300623881/photos/a.260737027289275.75790.260724300623881/820095271353445/?type=1&refid=17
Just in case it helps  :)
Looby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby for adding  :)  Was thinking of looking through again to remind me of age and location etc for the Peter we have in those early military records around 1916.

So, without jumping to assumptions, we have a number of clear references to Haddington and Glasgow.

There is no Peter (or Patrick as a common variant of Peter...never mind adding William to the mix!) Ca*rn* showing in East Lothian on the 1915 online SP valuation rolls. As a labourer, this Peter may have moved around with jobs...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
Done a wee bit digging - call me an old romantic but I think Miss Gallacher could have been Peter/William's "special" friend. I think it's the formality of Miss -evokes a bygone age when a young man's girlfriend would be called by her title .
Anyway - The Mary Gallacher at Smiths Land, Nungate Haddington in 1915 Valuation rolls is also there in 1920. She is a widow.
1911 Census - Skinner's Close Hardgate Haddington.
Mary Gallacher  widow age 50    Outworker    born Ireland
Mary Gallacher   dau    age 22    Outworker    born Edinburgh? (I think that's what it says)
Bridget Gallacher dau   age 19   Outworker       "      "                        "
Annie Gallacher    dau   age 10   School         born Dalkeith
According to the book Closes of Haddington  - http://issuu.com/liliantuohymain/docs/haddington_closes_27th_march_pages
Skinner's Close was demolished circa 1915 - so could Mary and her daughters have moved to Smiths Land??
Mary Gallacher jnr appears to marry a William Ross in 1915.
Bridget Gallacher never marries. She dies age 65 at her sister Mary's in Haddington 10th Dec 1958 of Cardiac Failure and TB.
Could Bridget be the Miss Gallacher of Smith's Close Nungate ?  :'(
All suppostion  ;) 
Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Supposition is all we have at present Looby  ;) Like the look of that too.

Been looking through again the military details of the Peter Cairns we have so far. His ages is clearly given as 25 yrs, no months/days as is practice. So, he either wasn't sure of his exact birth date (not uncommon) or he was born after 5 April 1891 and early May 1891...to match his birth age of 25 on the service papers in early May 1916. Impricise science really though...including I noted he had the name Robina as a tattoo...tried searching for a Robina Gallacher...a couple of possibilities...but this would be streching it daft really  :P

I worry that we have nothing hard to connect to really  :-\ Even if we were to find the right Miss Gallacher, this would not mean we would connect back to the right Peter (or William  :-\) and his own family.

Big struggle this one so far until we find a key piece of personal info for him that helps firm up the information really.

Monica

Added: Looby, been looking through your link http://issuu.com/liliantuohymain/docs/haddington_closes_27th_march_pages - hadn't come across it before. Great link  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 18:09 BST (UK) »
Just thought to re-add the previous links. The more times we go through all the details, and info already discussed, hopefully someone at some point may add that key piece of info:

Shot at Dawn  www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=611191.0
Private (William) Peter Cairnie or Carney www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=611504.0

Monica  :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Update - When Mary Gallacher (daughter of Widow Mary Gallacher) marries in 1915 - her address  is given as Waterside, Nungate, Haddington.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
http://issuu.com/liliantuohymain/docs/haddington_closes_27th_march_pages -

Can I also add what a great link to a fascinating and beautifully presented booklet. :)

You two are doing so well. I'm afraid it is beyond my knowledge and skills so I have nothing constructive to add.

(PS. I originally thought Miss Gallagher may have been Peter's sweetheart, but then I visualised her as a kindly old woman who perhaps lodged in the same lodging house as Peter. My imagination was running away with me. The word "friend" is so vague  :-\ ...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Ruskie...I agree..I think we are stuck again  :-\ We have all tried so hard over recent months, but I am not sure now how to take this all forward a bit more  :-\ From experience in this type of seach, we miss one key hard piece of info that we can work from to then use as the basis to the searches for family. Miss Gallacher is too loose unfortunately to connect to family...even if we did have her first name really  :'(

Monica

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Yes Ruskie - The Closes of Haddington is indeed a well presented book - invaluable for Haddington based research.
And you are right Miss Gallagher could be a sweetheart, a kindly granny figure, or just a friend.
I wish we could get a lead on Peter/ William , he deserves to be identified. I think the tattoo of "Robina" is also interesting.  Could Robina be a girlfriend , or a wife (maybe dead), or a child?
 The plot thickens.
Looby  :)

Oops - our posts clashed Monica  :)