Author Topic: Search of the grave of my great great grandfather died in Bathgate Munro Ross  (Read 6814 times)

Offline Escoces

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search of the grave of my great great grandfather died in Bathgate Munro Ross
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
It's true what they say about Scoonie would have no relationship and it is highly unlikely that she is not the wife of Munro.

See what happens in Bathgate still insist if someone comes up with something more. The certificate shows that he died on that date and at that age and place and according to the book is that I have

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Search of the grave of my great great grandfather died in Bathgate Munro Ross
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 July 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
Escoces,
             I had a walk around the Glasgow Road Cemetery today but did not find the names you are looking for, that does not mean they are not there, just I could not find them, and I'm sure there are internments before 1860. What I have to do now is go to the West Lothian Cemetery Dept where all the Cemetery Burial Books are kept, they can call up records for all the surrounding Burial Grounds. There are a lot of worn out stones and stones knocked over by the storms so I have now to look at the records.

I did find 2 Ross stones which may interest you.
James.

Offline Escoces

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 July 13 21:02 BST (UK) »
mosstrooper, thanks for trying and searching in the Glasgow Road Cemetery, good pictures of the stones but unfortunately none of them is Munro Ross and Jean Gillespie nor the sons James and Marion Ross.
Hope Cemetery in West Lothian have better luck.
Maybe it's a small tumulus with a cross and the names of them.
They could be in any cemetery Bathagte or West Lothian

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 July 13 00:46 BST (UK) »
Mosstrooper

I believe that the CDs produced by West Lothian Family History Society comprise the transcription of all the surviving registers held by West Lothian Council up until around 1975. The SAFHS Graveyard CD gives the date of opening of Glasgow Road Cemetery as 1859.

I thought the size of the graveyard at Jarvey Street was very small and the SAFHS CD confirms that many of the gravestones were moved or cleared when the church was rebuilt in 1884. I also suspect that many of the remaining graves may have been cleared for the building of the church hall. The hall is fairly modern (does not appear on the OS map published in 1949 and in appearance looks to date from the 60s) so there may be a record of any graves disturbed when it was built. The remaining graves are in the strip between Jarvey Street and the church hall.

Eric

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 July 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Slightly off topic, but apparently the first burial in Glasgow Road Cemetery (is that Paulville?) was a wee Alex. McDonald aged 6 months on 29th December 1860.

Have a look at page 20 here: http://memento-mori.co.uk/115.pdf

No Ross surnames listed on the index though.

Anne

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 July 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
That confirms the CD as the only interment in 1860 was Archibald and is numbered 1. It is Paulville. Glasgow Road is divided into three - Paulville (the original), Johnston and Extension (current). Possibly SAFHS are quoting the date when construction started or when the decision was made to open the cemetery.

Eric