Author Topic: James WALLACE b Bathgate, West Lothian 24 Oct 1757 or 1767??  (Read 5378 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
James WALLACE b Bathgate, West Lothian 24 Oct 1757 or 1767??
« on: Tuesday 01 April 14 04:50 BST (UK) »
I thought this man was born 24 Oct 1757 but I have a photo of a Memorial in Bathgate that his family is mentioned on and it says he died 09 Nov 1842, aged 75 which means he should have been born in 1767 - can anyone please confirm which birthdate is correct.
Thank you
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James WALLACE b Bathgate, West Lothian 24 Oct 1757 or 1767??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
Assuming it is the same man, ages are often inconsistent and inscriptions can be added to gravestones long after the event. Is the age absolutely clear on the inscription? If so, have you found him on the 1841 census. Ages then were rounded down, but a comparison might help.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On Family Search, the LDS site a search of James Wallace births in Bathgate, West Lothian, shows 2 to the same parents, James Wallace and Margaret Dickson.

1 - James Wallace born 24 Oct 1757 christened 30 Oct 1757 at Bathgate.

2 - Another James Wallace born 21 Apr 1767 christened 17 May 1767.

This happened a lot years ago, a child may have died young, and another sibling was given same name for family tradition etc.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 01:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply Tom, I thought this was the story, but forgot to put in where I found the other birth.
Much appreciated
Regards
Jan
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others

Offline ross01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
This James Wallace was b.1767 (21 April). He died 9 Nov 1842.  He was my 3x great grandfather.
If you require more info, do get in touch.
Ross Wallace

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Ross
I'm interested in the Wallace family because of a lady named Margaret 'Maggie' Edmonston Wallace b 20 Sept 1873 in Welland, Ontario, Canada - she married Arthur Charles Goodson, the sone of my gt grandfather's brother. My own Scottish/Irish roots are McKenzie, McDonald, Fraser and others, mostly in Scotland around Wester Ross, till they spread out round the world. I have a 'thing' about Scotland, my grandmother, although she never saw Scotland was very proud of her Ancestry, and made it into a family tradition.

So Maggie was born 20 Sep 1876 Welland, Ontario, and died 24 Mar 1915 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA. Her parents were James Wallace b 18 Apr1830 Ochiltree, Ayrshire, d  12 Feb 1887, Ontario. Her mother was Catherine Boag b 6 Jan 1833, Abercorn, West Lothian, and d 29 Dec 1901, Ontario, Canada. Her grandparents were Mungo Wallace b 6 Jun 1799, Mauchline, Ayr, d 08 Sep 1852, Stair, Ayr and Jean McKnight b abt 1801, Stair, d 08 Nov 1874, Ochiltree. Her great grandparents were James Wallace b 21 Apr 1767, Bathgate, West Lothian, d 09 Nov 1842 Bathgate and Mary Train b abt 1760 Sorn (?) Ayr, d ? Ochiltree.

If you can fill any of my gaps that would be great. I just find it so interesting how these families spread and move around the world.If only my McKenzies were as easy to track as this family, I would be very happy.
If I have any queries about the family, can I contact you again, please?
Regards
Jan
PS I am interested in knowing more about Maggie's siblings and James Wallace b 1831's siblings.

Offline ross01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Jan,
The details you give of James Wallace fit mine (1767 -1842 Bathgate), but the rest doesn't! ..Although there are connections with Canada. One of his sons, John Wallace (1820 -1900. m Margaret Sellar) emigrated in the 1870s.  I've always been aware of Wallaces in Ayrshire, but as far as I know they're pretty unrelated to Bathgate (or Dundee, where I have maternal Wallaces)
I am also fascinated by the spread of people. The Ross in my name comes from Easter Ross and the Ross clan, my ancestors being part of the movements associated with the Highland Clearances.
Ross Wallace

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Ross
I have gone backwards from Maggie, and I have a copy of her parents marriage showing James Wallace as her father and Jean McKnight as her mother. Still looking for Mungo Wallace marriage to Jean McKnight, but have her parents at George McKnight and Margaret Goldie from her death certificate.
I am trying to get certificates for proof of all evenst.

My McKenzies and various related kin left Wester Ross in the early 1800's and went to Nova Scotia, where that stayed (in my great great grandfather's case) until 1857, when they were on the move again to New Zealand.

I'll let you know what else I find.
regards
Jan

PS I have a copy of OPR for Mungo Wallace birth, showing his parents as James Wallace and Mary Train, and also James Wallace marriage to Catherine Boag, showing Mungo Wallace and Jean McKnight as his parents.

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 September 15 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello all Wallace in West Lothian researchers. Here is my information on my Wallace branch.  James Wallace supposedly born Dumbarton, pre 1800 married to Agnes Stevenson, in 1822, Glasgow, and dead by the 1841 census. The 1851 census has James Wallace in Bo'ness married to Mary Buchanan. James had a brother John, and sisters Agnes, Mary, Sarah, and Janet ( who married a man with the last name of Brown and moved to Australia).  One branch of the Wallace clan stayed on Glasgow, he other in Bo'ness, and one moved back to Glasgow from Bo'ness
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson