Author Topic: quandary  (Read 10406 times)

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
quandary
« on: Tuesday 18 October 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
I have written that I am trying to find the grandparents, parents of my gt-gt-grandfather Thomas Roper born 1810 in Irvinestown which I found in the 1821 Derryvollin Census:   David 72, Catherine (wife) 59, sons George 29, William 16, Alexander 13, Catherine 22 and Thomas (grandson).

I have been in contact with some people and have taken them at their word that they are of the same family, but have found a couple of things that don't correspond with their versions

This came about when I found that a David Esau Trotter (born 1842) and his sister Faithfull Montgomery Trotter (born 1848) came to Australia in 1869.  I have been told they are the children of Alexander Trotter and Elizabeth Sweeney (daughter of Patrick Sweeney and Faithfull Montgomery). so I looked up the 1821 census again and found: Patrick Sweeney 59, Feathy 55, William 29, Francis 27, Michael 9, Ann 25, Margaret 23, Feathy 18, Mable 16 and Bridget 14 - no Elizabeth.

I recently came upon the Fermanagh genealogy Church Records and found the following - all from Irvinestown or Lowtherstown.

Baptised:
8/8/1807      Alexander (son of David?) with the inscription listed as illegitimate
I have my Alexander down as born 1808 - taken from 1821 census
28/8/1836    Margaret - parents Alexander Trotter & Bridget
8/8/1838      David ?? - parents Alexander & Bridget
22/1/1840    William George (b: 2/10/1840) parents Alexander & Bridget
14/4/1843
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: quandary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 08:01 BST (UK) »
Finishing Off:
14/4/1843      Francis - parents Alexander & Bridget
then
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 08:12 BST (UK) »
My apolgies - I don't know what is going wrong with the computer!!
It then shows Faithfull?? (b:14/5/844) parents Alexander & Bridget - I have her down as born in 1848, then:
26/12/1847     Alexander B: 7/8/1847 - parents Alexander & Bridget
6/9/1858         Alexander B: 18/8/1858 - parents Alexander & Bridget
The reason I came upon this is that I found a death for a David Trotter (84) (Irvinestown) on 5/2/1837 and also a Catherine (age illegible) Lowtherstown and I think I have a good chance of them being my g-g-g's grandparents, though I sometimes wonder if she was his second wife as none of our family have named any descendents Catherine.
After all this, is there any way to find a marriage between Alexander & Bridget, Alexander & Elizabeth and the death certificates for David & Catherine as I think the coincidence of Feathy and Faithfull seem to match up with my thoughts, though it is the Alexander (illegitimate son of David) that is the one  of the whole family for me.  I do hope that I have finally found something as I was getting pretty depressed with this family.
Kind regards
Bev

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The following may be worth noting. On 9 Feb 1803 an Alexander Trotter was baptised in Kinawley Church of Ireland, Lisnaskea District. The parents were William Trotter and Elizabeth Martin.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 02:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kingerswell, but that is a bit early and my Alexander was definitely the son of David that I am looking for!
I'm glad you were able to get through reading everything with the way the computer was playing up yesterday.
Kind regards
Bev

Offline janet.davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 12 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Re David Esau Trotter and Faithfull Montgomery Trotter

Hi Bev.  I think you will find that Bridget and Elizabeth Sweeney are one and the same person.  I am a descendent of David Esau Trotter and have been in touch with another person name David Alexander Trotter who is also a descendent of Alexander Trotter and Elizabeth (Bridget) Sweeney. He lives in Lancashire, England.  He found that there were 4 children in all, so in addition to David and Faithfull there was Robert and Francis.  They went to Scotland around the same time that David & Faithfull went to Australia.  I found a record for them on the Scottish Census on Ancestry, but could not locate the same record on Scotlandspeople.  Old Dave Trotter's marriage and death certificates had conflicting information as to when he was born and it could have been 1838 or 1842.  The information about his parents being Alexander Trotter and Elizabeth Sweeney came from the back of a photograph of his wife Rhoda Carter.  Its also recorded on his marriage certificate and death certificate.  His father Alexander was a carpenter/Coachmaker

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 12 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet
Sorry to be so long answering, but would you have the address of the gentleman from Lancashire as it would be nice to know what happened to David and Faithfull's parents and the rest of the family and see when both Alexander & Elizabeth (Bridget) died as it looks as though Elizabeth was dead by the 1871 census. 
Kind regards
Bev

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
New members usually need 2/3 posts to fully use PM (Personal Message) system so Janet might have to make 1 or 2 more posts before she can send you information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 12 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey!