Author Topic: Gallagher marriage Sligo  (Read 9834 times)

Offline RichS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher marriage Sligo
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise,

What I tried to do was work on what I had and try to find the most likely next step on the RootsIreland.ie website. Some might be leaps and some may be true. The next step would be to spend some money on actual documents.

As you found on the UK census from 1851, Michael Gallacher is listed as born in 1816 in Sligo Ireland.  The first bit of luck is a search of the Irish Baptismal/Birth records for a Michael Gallacher (searching all possible spellings of this common surname) born in 1816 brings up only 1!

I purchased the church Baptism record : he was born 17th  Sept 1816 in Riverstown Co Sligo and baptised Roman Catholic. His parents were William and Honora Gallaher. I have found other records on other sites FamilySearch.org which also lists these same parents (although with Irish spelling of William, Guliellmi) - christened in Taunagh.

From this it is relatively easy to search for the rest of the family/children as you can put the parents names into the search detaisl. They had 6 children I think John (born 1814) Michael (born 1816) Maria (1820) Bridget (1823) James (1825) Thomas (1828).

William and Honora were married in 1814 in a churchmarriage in County Sligo.

I then searched for a marriage for a michael gallacher to an ellen (I did not know you had found an Ellen Ford on a birth certificate then) across a very wide range of dates (1832 to 1850) ie from the age of 16 to the age when he turned up in the UK. This turned up only one - Ellen McGlone born in 1824 (about right for the subsequent census details in the UK)

I paid for the church marriage record which shows this Michael married on the 30th of December 1849 in Killasser County Mayo only about 20 - 30 miles from where he grew up, to a girl called Ellen McGlone from County Armagh born in 1824 according to the rootsIreland records.

The marriage appears to have been quick or rushed (who gets married on the day before new years eve in the winter of a potato famine??) IF their "first" child after this marriage, James, arrives in 1850 born in York City - needed to check when he was born (you suggest Feb 1850) as this may explain the speed of the marriage - also there are incomplete records of the parents on the document - they may not have been alive by then ?? the witnesses are also traced in paperwork

I say first child as I tried to find children born to this couple with the names Ellen and Michael Gallagher and I found none!

However I was able to trace an Edward Galaher born on 11 Feb 1849 to a Michael Galaher in Athleague County Rosscommon - about 40 odd miles from where he was raised?? whether this is the correct Edward or pure co-incidence or not I don't know - I searched all possible Edward Galahers born to a Michael Galaher in all of Ireland (and all spellings) from 1834 to 1866 and there are only 4 listed and this is the nearest to the date of the one in the UK census. This is a possible leap I know.

However this Edward Galaher was born to a Michael Galaher on 11th Feb 1849 to a Brigid (Biddy) Branelly and baptised in Athleague Roman Catholic Church in County Rosscommon - date is not clear. The christening was sponsored (godparents) by Honora Kelly and Jas Gallagher.

There is no record of a marriage between these two - Brigid or Biddy was born the same year as the Michael I found at the start: I cannot definitely say it is the same Michael. They did however have a further child born in 1850 a girl Honor. She (or at least a Brigid Brannelly - again I searched all children born to a Brigid Brannelly across 40 years throughout all of Ireland) also had a child with Patrick Kean in 1838 to whom she was married in 1836. whether the marriage survived or he died I do not know. The son was called Patrick as well.

The big leaps really are whether the Michael I initially found was the same one who married Ellen McGlone and also the same one who had two children with Brigid???

My Grandfather remembers stories of his ancestor who came from Ireland leaving on a boat to go to America and not getting any further than Liverpool. A Micheal Galaher born in 1816 (aged 35 when he boarded the boat in 18th May 1850) is listed on the Helen Thompson which set sail for Philadelphia via Liverpool. So this may be how he came to be in the UK for the 1851 census.

He is not listed with Ellen or a child on the boat though.

http://www.immigrantships.net/v13/1800v13/helenthompson18500518.html

However whether I believe he managed to get himself and Ellen, who would already be pregnant and Edward, a child born to another mother to the UK is a bit of a stretch...And probably a little less believable after your discovery of the name Ellen Ford

I tried searching for marriage to Ellen Ford from the age of 16 to the age when he turned up in the UK. But nothing.

However Ford is an interesting name which has been mis-attributed/or variously translated form the Irish equivalent according to some reference documents I have read. It may be a mis-translation as with the mis-spelling of Gallagher, galacher, galaher,Golicher, Golicker, Golisher - (the list is endless).

By the way did you find Ellen and James Golisher and Edward Goligher in the 1891 census!

Anyway that is quite a lot of detail - and makes for a great story! How much we can link all the various references to a michael galaher to the one that turned up in the UK I don't know.

RichS

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:04 GMT (UK) »
...As you found on the UK census from 1851, Michael Gallacher is listed as born in 1816 in Sligo Ireland.  The first bit of luck is a search of the Irish Baptismal/Birth records for a Michael Gallacher (searching all possible spellings of this common surname) born in 1816 brings up only 1!

Very few parishes have records back as far as 1816, which explains why you only found one match online. There could be numerous other baptisms for that name around the same time not recorded  or included on RootsIreland.

p.s. Guliellmi is Latin for William.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »
You can see a map of RC parishes in Co. Sligo on the Irish Times Ancestors website. This shows the areas covered by each parish, and the dates for which records are available. The average starting date for rural RC parish records is about 1830, some start much later in the 1850s or even 1860s.

see : RC parishes Co. Sligo

Of the 10 or so I spot checked just three had records before this date - two as far as the mid 1820s, and just one to 1803. With early dates you really need a location, i.e. town, townland or parish so you can first check if records are available for the area your family came from.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline RichS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks and good to know although I suspect that means back to the drawing board really!

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 December 12 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard,

It is funny that your grandad can remember a story about the Gallagher family setting off for America and not getting any further than Liverpool. When I first started looking at family history 10 years ago, my father, who was not really interested, could remember only two stories told to him as a child.  The first was about a one legged car sales man!!.  I found him- he wasn't a Gallagher and the second story was about the Gallagher family setting off for America and not getting any further than Liverpool, as the boat they were on sank! Now as they obviously survived I can only imagine that they should have got a boat that sank.  I had put it down as a fanciful piece of story telling, but as your grandad also thinks they set out for America perhaps they did!

I did find Ellen and James Golisher and Edward Goligher in 1891 - thanks. (They were found by a very clever rootschatter)

I don't know if you have the 1881 census RG11 4402 30  address 19 West Parade, Halifax
Eliza A. Judd Head Widow 56 Rastrick Gentlewoman
Mary Golicher Serv Unmarried 28 Wheldrake, Cook Dom.
Jane Bales Serv Unmarried 25 Honington, Suffolk Housemaid

The Gallagher brothers seem to have found all their brides through their sisters as also in 1881 was Catherine Golichar unmarried 23 Wheldrake Waiting Maid
Emma Lavinia Crossland unmarried 29 Carcroft Cook Dom

Emma Lavinia Crossland married Edward Gallagher

I don't know if you have the following:-
Michael Golicher buried 25.2.1891 age 76yres
Ellen Golicher (Gallagher) (the brackets and Gallagher are written in the register) Buried 27.1.1906 age 85
James Gallagher Buried 8.8.1908 age 58yrs
Edward Gallagher buried 8.1.1924 age 76yrs
Michael and Ellen also had two little girls who were buried at Whelrake:-
Ellen Gollicher or Gallagher Buried 15.6.1855 5 months
(The double surname is how it is written in the register)
Ellen Gallagher Buried 24.4.1861 5 weeks

It would be nice to think that is our Michael Gallagher born in Riverstown!!

Have a happy Christmas,

Louise