Author Topic: DRUMMOND Research  (Read 3064 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DRUMMOND Research
« on: Sunday 08 July 12 01:20 BST (UK) »
I'm planning a trip to Scotland at the end of September to do some research on my Drummond ancestors, in particular, Josiah Drummond, born 1731, Perth. Josiah had four brothers -  John, Donald, William and Alexander. He married Emilia Crearer 1762, Fowlis Wester, at a farm called Fornaught. All I've been able to find about the brothers is that John went to America but returned to Scotland in 1791. I'm puzzled that there is so little information available on this family. I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a good place to continue my research. I will only have a few days available to visit the Perth area, as I will also be spending time doing research in the Falkirk area.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Lemon Nelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • The never ending journey
    • View Profile
Re: DRUMMOND Research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Perth Library might be a good place to start it is very good.
Falkirk the archives in Callender Park, and the library are the places to go.  Falkirk History Society have some great little books in the research dept listing lots of burials, good luck
Tripney, Howes, Lapsley, Davies, Evans, Allan, Green,

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline portprincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 17:11 BST (UK) »
Jim-- Any chance that your John Drummond who returned to Scotland from America in 1791 is the Royal Navy lieutenant of that name who married Catherine Engs in Rhode Island, U.S.A., in 1778 and had three children: William, Janet, and Rebecca? John left his family in Rhode Island when he was called to return to the Royal Navy in 1790 as captain of a troop transport, HMS Dover. He died in 1793 at sea or abroad. Never made it back to his family.