Author Topic: Brentwood, Essex.  (Read 2898 times)

Offline John McCrea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brentwood, Essex.
« on: Thursday 14 July 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just started my wife's family tree and have just got a certificate that says her grand mother married in 1935 and was living in "6 Glen Cottages, Ingrave road, Great Warley, Brentwood.
I have contacted Brentwood Council who say they have no records of these cottages. I have also been there to look myself but can't find anything. two possible old unused cottages remain near the disused Toomey garage but I can't find a name.
any help in locating these cottages, even if they don't still stand would be of help, and I hope that I am not pushing my luck, but If anybody has an old photo I would love to see them.
Very many thanks to all.
John.

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brentwood, Essex.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you tried local library they may have a family history area that has old maps of the area and the cottages may well be on them.
Just a thought. ???
cheers cardiff :)
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
I'm not a local, but I did wonder whether it is worth approaching Brentwood School http://www.brentwoodschool.co.uk/ as having been established in the 16th century their historian might be better focused on what's happened on Ingrave Road than the local council?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
A further thought is to see if you can look at electoral rolls or local trade directories that might feature road by road information.  Sometimes the trade directories record the intervening roads/junctions between the houses.  That might help you locate the actual place.

julian
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Diblet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
Images of the 1929 Electoral Roll for Brentwood is available on SEAX.

If you scroll through them I'm sure you'll find some mention of the cottages you're looking for and who was living there at that point.

:)

Offline John McCrea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Many Thanks to all,
Complete.

Hi, I have just started my wife's family tree and have just got a certificate that says her grand mother married in 1935 and was living in "6 Glen Cottages, Ingrave road, Great Warley, Brentwood.
I have contacted Brentwood Council who say they have no records of these cottages. I have also been there to look myself but can't find anything. two possible old unused cottages remain near the disused Toomey garage but I can't find a name.
any help in locating these cottages, even if they don't still stand would be of help, and I hope that I am not pushing my luck, but If anybody has an old photo I would love to see them.
Very many thanks to all.
John.
Very many thanks to all.
John.

Offline John McCrea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks to all.
John.