Author Topic: Prince of Wales pub Eign Street  (Read 9033 times)

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Wales pub Eign Street
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 October 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesca,
As I was in Hereford yesterday went to look at the former P-o-W building. It is still in Eign Street but has been renumbered since the C19th, probably when the Inner Relief Road was built in the 1970's, but starting from the other (City) end. It is now two premises nos. 126 and 128. One looks as though it is being used for storage and the other is empty and To Let.
It is a large building, much larger than it looks in the photo in the book, and with the yard (former stables?) behind covers a substantial area, but all looking very delapidated. It is not an attractive looking building.
Regards, Alastair.
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline DeComyn

• RootsChat Member
  • The elusive Amy Bowen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 October 06 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Alastair
Iwent to Hereford a couple of years ago now to try to find some addresses, but didn't really know what I was looking for with regards to the pub as I had no idea what it looked like and the numbers didn't match. It's a real shame that the building is in such a mess, but I suppose at least there is something there, as all the family's houses must have gone in the 60s or 70s. Next time I get a chance to go, I can go and have a look, and at least my hopes won't be too high!!!
Thanks very much for the information,
regards,
Francesca
Morgan/ -Hereford, Gloucester, Pontypridd
Bowen/ Bibby/Wright - Hereford
Whitney - Hereford, Staffs, Notts
Lockett/ Price  - Kington Hereford
Bradshaw, Chell, Goodwin - Stoke on Trent
Henk, Toft - Stoke on Trent

Offline solitaire273

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesca,
I know it's a while since your last post but I also have an interest in the Wright family at the P o W pub. Are you able to confirm who Edward's mother was? There was a Mary Ann Addis who was adopted by Edwards parents. My connection is via her and also possibly Edward's mother Elizabeth. Just wondered if you had any information you would be willing to share?
Many thanks
Claire

Offline DeComyn

• RootsChat Member
  • The elusive Amy Bowen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire
Sorry for the late reply. I have Edward's mother as an Elizabeth from census records, but  I am connected via Julia Morgan, his wife, unfortunately I don't know very much about him. I suppose you already have all the census records?
 My great-grandmother Amy Bowen ( Julia and Edward's neice), seems to have been with Edward and Julia in both 1901 and 1891, so that was a little bit of a puzzlement as to why. I don't suppose you have any information there?
 I did think I recognised the name Mary Ann Addis but have been through all my stuff - twice -and my mom's and cannot find her, so I must have been mistaken -  I 'd had a feeling her name was on a cert. as a witness.
I have found military  records for Edward and Julia's son and know a little about things such as details of Julia's funeral from a relative I've found.
I'm not sure I can be of much help, but if it sounds like I have anything useful for you, let me know, and should I come across things in the future, I can do the same.
Francesca
Morgan/ -Hereford, Gloucester, Pontypridd
Bowen/ Bibby/Wright - Hereford
Whitney - Hereford, Staffs, Notts
Lockett/ Price  - Kington Hereford
Bradshaw, Chell, Goodwin - Stoke on Trent
Henk, Toft - Stoke on Trent

Offline solitaire273

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 July 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesca,
Thank you for your reply. I have Julia Morgan as Edward's wife but not gone any further. I have not been able to find anything about Amy Bowen. Do you know anything about her other than the census records?
Mary Ann Addis was adopted and in 1871 was listed as "Mary Ann Addis Wright - 9 Months, born Hereford". She lived with the Wright family until at least 1891.
I believe Edward's mother was Elizabeth Prothero. If correct then Mary Ann Addis was a cousin for Elizabeth which explains why the Wright family adopted her. I was interested to know if you had found anything about Elizabeth.
Regards
Claire

Offline richsamj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 November 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather's birth certificate dated 17/07/1904 shows his place of birth as 52 Eign St, Hereford. The occupation of his father, George Henry Morgan, is down as Innkeeper. For several years before this date the family were living in Woolwich and George was working as a stoker at the Royal Arsenal. I have never understood how he went from that job, to become an Innkeeper in Hereford. Do you think there is any chance George was related to Julia Morgan?