Author Topic: Frederick OTTAWAY b. Kent c. 1848 emmigrated to NZ  (Read 13696 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick OTTAWAY b. Kent c. 1848 emmigrated to NZ
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 February 12 22:04 GMT (UK) »
The transcription says daughter of Horace OTTAWAY (shoemaker).

There are baptisms for Susan ROFE 26th April 1848 and Jane Ottaway ROFE 3rd December 1848, mother Martha, single woman.  So I'm not sure they were twins.  Odd that they were baptised on different dates, 2 years after Horace's death.

This doesn't add up.  :-\
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 February 12 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I have found Charles Ottaway married Martha Ross (sic) Nov 14 1846
Children:
Jane  1845 Staplehurst
Frederick Nov 28 1847 Headcorn
Sion Sept 30 1849
Horace 1851

Charles was a Shoemaker.

Sion married Emma Dyke April 24 1880 Headcorn. Worth checking following census returns to see if they were still in England.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 February 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 Susan Rofe, age 6, born Staplehurst is listed as neice of Frederick & Jane Wakefield, blacksmith of Old Forge,  Headcorn.  They have no children of their own living with them.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 February 12 07:30 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census shows 2 Martha ROFEs.  One in Headcorn (daughter of Thomas) and one in Staplehurst (daughter of Sion ROFE)

living Churchyard, Headcorn
Thomas ROFE age 53 schoolmaster
Mary age 53
Thomas age 27
Martha age 23
Elizabeth age 21
Augusta age 20
Lavinia age 18
William age 16
Ann age 15
all born in county except Mary

living Chickenden Farm, Staplehurst
Sion ROFE age 45
Ann age 50
Susan age 20
Mary age 19
Martha age 17
Chalotte age 16
Robert age 10
Jane age 7
all born in county

Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline nannamilli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 September 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
I came across this stream by accident, but I wish to add my little bit (you will find my Tree at www.ottaway.tribalpages.com - remember that I live at Scarness) In one of my branches there is a family at Maidstone (Edward Steele Ottaway) and one of his sons Henry Willgress went to NZ married Annie Scott and then went to Melbourne where he got into a bit of strife and committed suicide rather than face the courts. You will find info to this family in the NZ records. Now our family story is that he went to NZ with a brother, but we have never been able to find the brother, and from his record he may not have always been truthful. But this sounds like your story. Over the years I have done a fairly extensive search into all the Ottaways in Kent and I can find no record of your Frederick at Maidstone.
Have you sighted his Death Certificate (but then this would only contain info that he had given) I must tell you that a lot of these young men worked their passages so it may be unlikely that you will find his passage in the Records,
Edward Steele did have a brother Frederick, but he died in England.
If I can help you further contact me direct at (*) - I have lots of Ottaway Bits and Pieces.

Judy   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline nannamilli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 September 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
I am back again after checking my website and have found a Frederic Ottaway who married Elizabeth  Tuke and died at Gisborne Hospital in 1928 - so if this is who you are looking for, he is in my Tree so go to that website he was born at Headcorn  - is still there for the 1861 Census. Parent - Charles Ottaway and Martha Rose; Grandparents - Thomas Ottaway and Mary Turk.

Contact me if you require any more.

Judy