Author Topic: Berwick Family in Kent  (Read 6449 times)

Offline southernlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berwick Family in Kent
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 03:37 BST (UK) »
HI, Just to add to the messages my g g grandmother was Margaret Barwick who married John Foreman. She was born 5 Apr 1795 to Joseph and Ann at Great Mongeham.  Like you I have been confused by an online tree that states the first Barwick came from Bedford.  Many years ago Les Couzins in Kent had transcribed almost all the BDM's of Barwicks for me but he did comment there seemed to be too many children for just one Joseph and Ann and proposed there was another couple of the same name.  It would be great to join up and seek the correct lineage.  I do have the Barwick book on the Tasmanian family.

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Southernlass, thanks for the reply. You are right there were two couples Joseph and Ann Berwick, on AJ100 list anything after 1807 is Joseph juniors children. Margaret Barwick was a witness at the marriage of Joseph Berwick and Annie Graves, this I assumed was his sister. It is the younger that I think was born at Sholden, the misspell may be because the name Berwick I am  was pronounced Barrick. Any further help would be much appreciated,  this is one reason I started the topic, hoping to find relatives in Kent that could help.
Regards
Craig

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
23 May 1790 Sarah BARWICK, d/o Joseph & Ann baptised at Sholden. What further information are you looking for?
Regards

AJ

Offline southernlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 August 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
Margaret Barwick and John Foreman's son John arrived in Australia in 1854 then on to New Zealand where he married in 1862. He had 3 sisters - Ann, Elizabeth and Mary but I have not been able to track them down in Kent as the names were so common. I am still plugging away at other descendants. Incidentally I have a friend born in Folkstone with surname of Milton. Until she went to school she pronounced her name as Mil'n so know easy it is for names to change with a local accent - Barwick to Barrat wouldn't be unreasonable.