Author Topic: Boer War veteran?  (Read 5715 times)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War veteran?
« on: Friday 23 June 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I'd really like to find out some more information about my great-uncle, Theophilus Powell THOMAS. I have only very sketchy information to go on at present, but know for definite that he was born in Radnorshire, mid-Wales, in 1880, so would have been of an age to have served in the Boer War. He apparently spent some time in South Africa, so would it have been feasible for him to have stayed on there after his military service? Also, rumour has it that his brother, my grandfather, Alfred Ernest THOMAS, followed him out to South Africa a little later on. My grandfather was also born in Radnorshire, in June 1886 but was back in Wales by April 1908 as he married my grandmother, Annie Evans, in that year in Tredegar, Monmouthshire. It is possible, though, that my grandfather's time in South Africa occurred after the marriage.

Apologies if I'm asking any stupid questions here, but I'm only feeling my way at present. Any information or pointers in the right direction would be most gratefully received.

Mike T
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War veteran?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:16 BST (UK) »
hi Mike
i have a simliar situation with one of my g/grandfathers.His death cert.in1907 states he was a 'former Transvaal gold miner'.I have his QSA medal so know he served in the Boer War.I believe he went to SA sometime in the mid 1890s to work in the gold fields then the war broke out,he joined up,served for one year and was discharged in october 1900 then was back here for the 1901 census.Do you think your g/uncle did a similiar thing but stayed on later,but i don't know how soon the gold mines would have re-opened after the war ended.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Anything is possible, I suppose, and I'm considering all suggestions at present. Having said that, this isn't one of my main lines of enquiry at the moment, but it does make for an interesting sideshow!

Mike
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline southwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Have just returned from South Africa where toured the battlefields and museums with regard to the boer and zulu wars.  Well worth a visit as there is lots of information regarding British troops over there. Have collected leaflets etc.  The Boer war seems to have taken place in eastern and western parts of south Africa., my grandfather, William Ellis southwood was at mafeking.  yours being welsh could well have fought at Rorke's drift.  went there and it was awesome.  have you tried the war office records?

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
May I point out that not all the defenders of Rorke's Drift were Welsh - this is an idea which has been perpetuated (largely by the film 'Zulu' !) but isn't accurate. In fact, under 20 of the defenders were Welsh - there were many Irishmen, as well as English, and a few Scots.

You can access a list of those present at Rorke's Drift at
www.genealogyworld.net/azwar/garr.html

Regards,
Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline southwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 06 23:32 BST (UK) »
No you are right in pointing that out., have just visited  Rorke's Drift and read the list of names of those present.  The film clearly had an effect in arousing curiousity but the history of South Africa unfolding is fascinating.  How some of the battles were won is amazing and the lengths the British went to in achieving their objectives equally so, especially the relief of Ladysmith. 

Offline Zillah Francis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was also William Ellis Southwood and was in Mafeking.i would like to be connected to the writer who went on this trip. We live in South Africa and it would he nice to know how I can get British passport

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 August 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there

A very good website about the Boer War is this one- www.angloboerwar.com  it has loads of information about the units and  a lot of the names of the men who fought.  Give it a try.  It makes for an interesting read in any event.

Good luck
Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
...but i don't know how soon the gold mines would have re-opened after the war ended.
Regarding Rorke's Drift, the defenders were the 24th Foot who became the South Wales Borderers in 1881 (ie two years after the Zulu War). In 1879 they were still the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment, although the depot was in Brecon.

But a worse twisting of the truth came from Stanley Baker who financed the film, and gave a part to his friend Ivor Emmanuel and the ridiculous sight of them singing Men of Harlech.

The modern view is that the heroism of Rorke's Drift was overstated by Lord Chelmsford to deflect criticism of how he lost 1,300 of his troops at Isandhlwana in the afternoon.

Ken