Author Topic: Watsons in Kimberley  (Read 4458 times)

Offline haywards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watsons in Kimberley
« on: Monday 26 May 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Two brothers who are Northern Irish ancestors of mine, Joseph and James Watson, went to Kimberley on business around 1900. James became an elder at Kimberley Presbyterian Church, and possibly married Edith Christina Hopkins who was born in Kimberley in 1890, before returning to Ireland in 1916. I have no details of the business, but presume it was connected with diamonds. Does anyone recognise any of these details? Any ideas on how I might discover more?   

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Watsons in Kimberley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Where in Ireland were they born?
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline haywards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello. The brothers were born in Keady, County Armagh, of farming stock. Keady was by all accounts a pretty sleepy town in the 19th century, so one thing that puzzles me is how they thought of the idea of travelling so far afield to make their fortune.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
The reason I asked is I found a grave in the Eastern Cape for a James Watson born in Armagh go to this link http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=1328049 and his brother, unfortunately the stone is damaged but can be seen at http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=1914589

Here is the link for the estate papers for James who died in 1951 http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?20140529111308CA079C69&DN=00000004 and his brother Joseph who died in 1921 http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?20140529111611CA079C69&DN=00000030

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline haywards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 May 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Derek,  but sadly not my Watsons. We have evidence of both James and Joseph dying in County Armagh in the 1930s. I suppose however that the ones you have found might have been cousins or something (the 19th century Keady Watsons seem to have had plenty of children!). So this might possibly suggest a flurry of County Armagh Watsons trooping across to South Africa around 1900 because of conversations around the family rather than pure coincidence. But that has to be an optimistic guess at the moment.

Offline haywards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 May 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
By the way, Derek, do you recall which database in the SA Archives you found the estate papers? The links you quoted took me to a timed-out session.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 May 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Pity try this link for the database http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl select the RSA one it will search all the archives.

Regards Derek

Offline bluecarlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a feeling that I maybe able to add to your query.
First clue- my surname is Watson and I was born in the country near Keady.
Next- I have heard family talk about my fathers uncles/brothers going to Kimberley around the time you mention.
Next and probably the most vital clue is that our farm house was called Kimberley Castle
Can I ask what is your connection
Look forward to your response

Offline haywards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi BlueCarlton

Definitely sounds like a link. I'm assuming that you are descended from James Watson (1856 to 1939) because Joseph died childless. Their brother Thomas George (1854 to 1928) was my great grandfather. I now know that James and his wife Edith and their children (Joyce, Kathleen, Beryl, Patricia, Esme, Blanche, Stella and David) sailed to the UK from South Africa in 1916. James settled at Broomhill near Fivemiletown, and that farm passed to David as eldest son (I think a second son Ian was born after 1916) when he died in 1939. My mother remembers staying at Broomhill in the 1930s, and I recall meeting Joyce and Stella at least in 1960. Very interested to know where you fit, not least because I'm visiting Keady with two other great grandchildren of Thomas in a fortnight.