Author Topic: I lost my Gran, Ann Wallace, Shand. 1906- 1924  (Read 16818 times)

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: I lost my Gran, Ann Wallace, Shand. 1906- 1924
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 September 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenjo

I just wondered if you ever found Ann Shand nee Wallace's death?

Was really interested when I came across this thread, as Ann's illegitimate daughter Ann(ie) Wallace was taken in by my 3 x great grand uncle and aunt, Alexander Sangster and Bathia Clark. She may even have married one of my distant relatives too, as Alexander Sangster's mother's maiden name was Lawrie, one of my direct lines.

Regards

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena and ellonavon,
Yes the girls did do a great job......... :D
but sadly no...I have never found anymore than this....
the only thing ..I was thinking is if Ann did die in the district then ...I would have thought she would have be buried in  the same church yard....and also her sons....
so I think..........that she emmigrated to ???????? with her son.
Lovely to meet another ...crossing the branches....don't forget if you would like to add your branch to my website ...just ask..
regards,
Jo.
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline BrianPurdyTX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 August 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
I have a couple things to add about this Barbara Findlay, mother of Ann Wallace:

Barbara Findlay was married to Alexander McBain later in life. There is a record in Kinellar for this dated 21 May 1870. Alexander died 12 Jan 1887 with has last address being 104 Commerce Street, and having lived at 69 Holburn Street, Aberdeen. This part is easily verifiable by parish records and Aberdeen Sheriff Court Inventories, REF SC1/36/100.

Now, I haven't established the certainty of the following, but it appears that she was previously married to William Milne (former husband of Isobel Taylor); And, he (Alexander McBain) I think was previously married to Rachel Hay, brother of William Hay, the somewhat renowned schoolmaster at Tillydesk, Ellon. William and sister Rachel Hay's parents were apparently William Hay and Rachel Rainie (Rainey?, Rennie?).

Also, it seems that this Barbara Findlay (there are two) was born in Old Deer on 23 Mar 1824, the daughter of James Findlay and Mary Cooper. Barbara Findlay and William Milne have marriage records dated about 19/20 Feb 1852 in Old Deer and Logie-Buchan.

So, interestingly, I also found a marriage record for James Wallace and Isobel Taylor on 18 Nov 1841 at Fyvie. I have no idea if this is the same Jame Wallace, but if it is, that certainly makes the whole deal quite strange.

I am sorry in advance if this does nothing for your quest to find Ann Wallace's death, but hopefully it is useful, anyway.

Brian

Offline BrianPurdyTX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 August 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
Upon further review, Charles Alexander Shand, born 16 Nov 1881 to Charles Shand and Ann Wallace died 24 Jan 1929 in York, Ontario, Canada.

There is the death record of an Annie Shand for 21 Apr 1920 in Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada. (birthplace Scotland, estimated birthdate 1852.)

I would suggest that this Charles is the same as the Charles A (age 8) on thf 1891 census.

Also, for pretty good evidence, see the 1911 census of Canada, Ontario, York Centre, 8 Etobicoke, page 10.

Family (line 14-17):
Shand, Alec, m, head, s, nov, 1882, 28, Scotland, 1903, scotch, canadian, presbyterian, gardner
Shand, William, m, brother, s, Dec, 1889,  21, Scotland, 1906, scotch, canadian, presbyterian, gardner
Baxter, James, m, nephew, s, Mar, 1903, 8, Scotland, 1908, scotch, canadian, presbyterian, none
Shand, Annie, f, mother, w, Jan, 1858, 63, Scotland, 1908, scotch, canadian, presbyterian, none

This is very clearly the same Shand family, so it makes the Annie Shand above the correct Annie -- mystery solved. The 1858 date on the census is obviously in error and should be 1853 for the date and 68 for the age. Alec is obviously Charles Alexander and matches the death cert listed above.

Brian

Please let me know if this helps or if this was already solved! Thanks!

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 September 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Oh My Goodness!!!! :D :D :D
I wish I could hug you. I send you a huge cyber huge.

Wonderful.
I had not gotten any further at all.

Thankyou so very much. :-* :-* :-*
Jo

ps.
Do you know how James Baxter fits in?
I need to reaquaint myself with the relationships.
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline BrianPurdyTX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 September 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
I don't know how James Baxter fits into the picture, and I suspect the best way to track him will be from his descendants, if there are any. He was born about 1903 and would have been an infant for the migration to Canada. I can think of some possibilities, but I could be off on those as well:
1. He was a child of Helen before she married Andrew Connon (perhaps illegitimate)
2. James Baxter came from Alexander Lawrie's family.

I don't know which of these is likely. It's also possible that there is a different scenario entirely or that they used the term nephew loosely.

Also, did you see my message about Barbara Findlay being a McBain and not O'Brien? Have you had a chance to check into this possibility? A cursive McBain could possibly be mistaken for O'Brien. The reason I ask is that Alexander McBain is my direct ancestor. There is an inscription that includes his name in Kinellar Kirkyard, but it makes no mention of Barbara Findlay, even though there are will documents for him with her name on them. So, it's possible that it's a different Barbara Findlay.

Also, there are several memorial inscriptions that include Barbara Findlay's name in Aberdeenshire. Here are a few:
1. 1878 - Kirkyard of Udny (with Barbara and William Singer)
2. 1904 - Kirkyard of Kinellar (with Robert Simpson and Annie Findlay)
3. Kirkyard of Fyvie (Includes Andrew Findlay, Jean Shand, Alexander Findlay, Jane Fowley, Mary Findlay, other Findlay)

The actual text of the inscriptions can be ordered from Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family Historical Society for a fee.

Brian

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 September 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused  :D ) as always) by some of the thread, so will stick to the Wallace/Shand Ontario ties...
Don't see the fellows in the CEF signups http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php
There is a marriage for Charles Alexander Shand to Margaret Weir Purdie. I'll find someone to give you further information on that ... They might also find one for William ( There is one with mother Wass but might be a stretch, and there were Wass in Ontario)
Can't see an entry for any of them here: http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/#mozTocId46239 so I'll see if anyone can find you some passenger lists for entries into Canada,  J.J.

P.S. re: James Baxter...another avenue to search might be the sister Anne Wallace/Sangster

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 September 10 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello folks  :)

Annie Shand arrived on the Empress of Ireland 19 Jun 1908. The ship departed Liverpool and she entered Canada at the Port of Montreal. Her age is hard to read but looks like it says 50 (?). She is a Widow, b. Scotland, and going to Toronto. It appears that the immigration officer added Alex in his margin notes (possibly referring to her son?).

Travelling with her ..... a James Shand, aged 4 years, also b. Scotland , and going to Toronto. I suspect this young fellow is the James Baxter with the family in the 1911 Census. More about James later.

The marriage of Charles Alexander Shand, 29, Bachelor, a Gardener, of the Township of Etobicoke, County of York, Ontario, to Margaret Weir Purdie, 29, Spinster, of Mimico in the Twp of Etobicoke took place 08 Dec 1911 at the Village of Mimico in the County of York, Ontario by license. Parents of the groom Charles Shand and Annie Wallace. Parents of the bride Robert Purdie and Margaret Torrance. Witnesses William Shand of the Twp of Etobicoke and Mary Agness Watt of Toronto.

I think the marriage J.J. found for William Shand may well be yours and that the minister may have misheard Wallace as Wass. I will post the details for you to decide.

Bouncing screen .... continued

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 September 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
Continuing .....

The marriage of William Shand, 35, Bachelor, Market Gardener, of Humber Bay in the Twp of Etobicoke in the County of York, b. Scotland to Eva May Hall, 28, Widow, of Toronto took place 30 Jun 1925 at New Toronto, County York, Ontario. Parents of the groom Charles Shand and Ann Wass (misheard Wallace?). Parents of the bride Adam McIntosh Bunch and Adelaide Bouskill. Witnesses Albert Hargreaves of Mimico and Pearl Bunch of New Toronto.

The above info for William matches info on a passenger list returning from Scotland 04 Mar 1921. He states he is a Gardener and the address returning to is as above. The Form 30A related to this trip is unfortunately almost illegible. Where it asks for nearest relative in the country from whence he came I can make out Brother ....?.... Sh..... of East Riggs (I think) ......?........ Sc......d. Perhaps some of the latter rings a bell? Was it William's brother George who died in 1897 or the elder George? Almost looks like a "Ge" at the beginning of the brother's name? William was returning from a holiday and gives his original immigration year as 1907.

I have not had any success in a search for either Charles or William on a passenger list related to their original arrivals in Canada.

Bouncing again .... continued

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada