Author Topic: Barclay Black Cargill  (Read 12302 times)

Offline abz55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barclay Black Cargill
« on: Thursday 03 January 13 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Barclay was born in Inverbervie 19/3/1891. I know his mother was Johan Black and father was John Cargill who were married in Gourdon  in 1886 but have come to a blank on any dates relating to their parents. I also know Barclay's first wife was Mary Beattie Dickson Any help would be appreciated.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Barclay Black Cargill
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a Johan Black living in Gourdon born c 1859. Her parents are Barclay Black b 1825 Benholm Kincardineshire and his wife Jessie b 1826 Aberdeen in the 1881 census

If you found Barclay Blacks death on Scotlands people this would give you another generation back and possibly his wifes maiden name.

In fact reading your post again if you have the marriage from 1886 this should give you both John Cargills parents and Johan Blacks parents

Norma

Offline abz55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 13 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info Norma. I shall do some searching tomorrow. I believe there was a child as well but can find no information confirming that.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 13 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can you clarify what you mean by "there was a child as well" Do you mean John and Johan has a child? Johan may have had a chilfd Georgina prior to her marriage b 1882

A tree on Ancestry has Johans death as 1904 If you get this death again it wll confim Johans parents

Norma

Offline abz55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Norma, sorry. I am new to this. No I mean Barclay and Mary had a child but Mary died in childbirth.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 13 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when and where Mary died. The trees onAncestry do not show Mary as a wife of Barclays they only show Gladys West and no children

Norma

Offline abz55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 13 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norma,

Barclay married Mary in 1915/16 in Johnshaven and she died 1917 in Montrose infirmary. I am afraid that is all the info I have at the moment.
Thanks for your help you have given me a lead to go on with. It looks as though I have a lot of searching to do.

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can maybe throw some light on Mary Beattie Dickson, she married Barclay Cargill on the 23rd September, 1916 at the Templars Hall, Johnshaven. Sadly Mary died from a burst appendix in 1917 in Montrose Infirmary, she was only 22.  Barclay and Mary had no children. 
Barclay went on to marry Gladys West on the 14th November, 1924 and they had (I think) 4 sons and 2 daughters, the youngest Elizabeth was born 1940 but died aged 2 in the Sick Childrens Hospital, Aberdeen.  Gladys was born in 1903, Pennan, Aberdeenshire and died at Gourdon in 1975.
Barclay was the youngest crew member of the Johnshaven Lifeboat Disaster in 1920.  He died at Gourdon in 1976.
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline abz55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 January 13 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen, thanks. I did doubt if Barclay and Mary had a child. All the info you have given me is what I already have except that both Barclay and Gladys died in Stonehaven and not Gourdon.