Author Topic: WEEDON Family  (Read 29683 times)

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WEEDON Family
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 19 October 14 20:25 BST (UK) »
Wow Maddie, - That is the first time it was made clear how Herbert and Thomas walked to Grimsby.  That makes sense now.

So funny remembering all that was said to me as a child, when I was only vaguely listening - if only I could go back and ask them further stuff and share with them what I have found.

I am sure there must be family links to the Carolyn, Elizabeth & John Weedon family but I suppose Sarah could be with a family and mis-transcribed in the 1851 census with the surname of head instead of Weedon. This is the problem and the fact they were all trying to hide skeletons.

It is very kind of you to help

Thanks
Steph

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 20 October 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph

I think I might have found Sarah but it sounds complicated. :)

You mentioned Henry Weedon, Tailor, in last but one post so I checked him out on the 1841. You probably know that he is living on Chorleywood Common with children Jane, Ann, Henry & Margaret, he is an Ag lab. Living with him is a Jane Walden with her children, Stephen 10, Mary 5 & Jane 1, only Jane born in county. Henry can then be found in the 1851 as a lodger now a Tailor in the household of William Saunders still Chorleywood & with him is a Stephen Walding aged 21. I am pretty sure this Stephen is the son of Jane Walden from 1841 census.

In 1851 in Watford Workhouse can be found Jane, Sarah, Benjamin & Daniel Walding, all these children were baptised at Chorleywood on the 25 Feb 1849 with the name Walden & all with the mother Jane Walden. (Family Search) I do believe these children were the offspring of Henry Weedon & Jane. :o

Twist is Jane Walden died in 1848 aged 38 in Chorleywood but I can expand on this in a PM.

I hope you can make sense of all that......... ;D

Maddie

Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 20 October 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Maddie - You are so brilliant! 

I can't believe how you have managed to see the connection to Jane Walden from the census by connecting Stephen Walden or Walding and the other children in the Watford workhouse. This has to be the nearest possibility I have seen in 3 years.

I am so thrilled! [although I'm not so thrilled with Henry - poor Jane!] I thought something like this scenario would be likely but I would never have seen it Maddie. Thank you so much

I am able to search these new lines rather than go round in circles with same stuff. 

Best wishes
Steph  :D

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 20 October 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Steph, I'm pleased I could help. :D

A little bit of local knowledge seems to help me put two & two together. ;)

Looking at the census for the other children it seems as if they all used their birth name of Walden, sometimes indexed as Walder on Ancestry, only Sarah used the name Weedon, strange that. :-\ I certainly wouldn't put it passed Henry to have fathered Jane's children, he was rather prolific in that department with his two wives, wasn't he. :o

Please do shout if you find anything amongst the new lines that might need a little help & hopefully clarify that we have the correct family for your Sarah.

Added

Have you seen the death & burial on Ancestry for a Sarah Ann Birch, 9th Oct 1875 Wingham Kent, her age is given as 31, could this be Sarah.  ???

Maddie :)
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
thanks Maddie

I have seen a few deaths that could be Sarah but that one looks possible for sure - I  will try to be more methodical now you have helped me move forward.

I wonder what Henry was like - rogue!  :P

All best
Steph

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 18 January 19 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am also looking for help on the Weedon/Weeden family of Hertfordshire.

Specifically, Elizabeth Weeden married William Mead in Aldenham on 28 April 1745. They christened 8 children in Aldenham over the following years including Sarah in 1760 (date wrongly transcribed on FamilySearch and FindmyPast but clear on the image on FindMyPast). According to an inscription on the back of her portrait, this Sarah was my 4th gt grandmother. She married George Newenham, a wealthy Quaker from Cork in about 1778. According to a family diary, he was sent to London to meet a miss Pim with a view to marriage, but met and married miss Mead(e) instead. I don't know where or exactly when they married, but he was disowned by the Quakers on 22 Sept 1778 as a result.

So far as I can see, Elizabeth Weeden may have been christened in Rickmansworth in 1721 to parents Ralph Weeden and Mary Battman/Bateman who married in Aldenham in 1716. The same couple seem to have christened several children mostly in Rickmansworth with one (Richard 1719) in Aldenham. Ralph may have been christened in Aldenham on 5 April 1691 to parents Richard and Abigail, and Mary in Aldenham on 18 April 1690 to parents John and Elizabeth Bateman. I say may because I am far from sure about this - all I can see is parish records of people who might plausibly be the same. I can see trees on Ancestry giving Elizabeth's parents as Thomas Weeden and Hannah Windfield, but I can't find records to support this.

I would love to know more about this family, especially their social status, whether they really would have moved between Rickmansworth and Aldenham and how a wealthy Quaker visiting London might have got to know them (perhaps through the family's history in the Quakers).

Unfortunately, I can't see any wills or land records relating directly to these people, and the parish BDM records are rather uninformative.

I would be very grateful for any help or pointers.

Alan

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 18 January 19 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you looked at the HALS resources?
https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/ufs/ufsmain?ebz=2_1547848804346&ebd=0
Lots of Weed?n and Mead.

Rickmansworth=Aldenham is a fairly easy "walk"
Rickm is a Penn/Quaker "origination" ( you probknow that )
Why not call Ricky museum?
Lots of very helpful people in the  area     ;D

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 January 19 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for some very useful comments and suggestions. I have just started looking at HALS and will let you know what I find.

Alan

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 19 January 19 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

You might also try Bushey Museum.       

Very helpful and a stone's throw away.     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).