Author Topic: William Webb allegedly born at Hertfordshire c1835 KIA 1854  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Webb allegedly born at Hertfordshire c1835 KIA 1854
« on: Tuesday 10 June 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Looking for any extra information re one Pte William Webb service number 3301.  He was KIA at the Eureka Rebellion 5 Dec 1854.  From what I have managed to find out he enlisted about 14 months previously, about October 1853.   I have read that he was in both the 40th Regiment of Foot and the 12th Regt of Foot. Apparently he arrived on the 'Empress Eugenie' which suggests he was part of the 12th Regt on Foot.
According to his death certificate he was 19 years old, from Hertfordshire UK and his parents were listed as 'unknown.
Love to find out more about this young man and his short life, if anyone one can provide a village or  parents name would be fantastic.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline ken.larbalestier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Webb allegedly born at Hertfordshire c1835 KIA 1854
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail,

My great grand father (Pte Martin Daley) served in the 12th Regiment and was at Ballarat during Eureka. I have undertaken a considerable amount of research into the Regimen to my sit and refer you to the site dedicated to the Regiment and its service in Australia and New Zealand.
larbalapplication.appspot.com

I have not been able to obtain any further info on Private Webb other than:
Private (3301) William Webb arrived on the ship Empress Eugenie and was stationed at Ballarat. Webb, labourer, born Hartfordshire England, had enlisted on the 6th October 1853, and was aged nineteen at time of death on the 5th December 1854.

This info was copied from the 1st Battalion's Muster and payroll -PRO3714.

One of the avenues within the old Ballart cemetery has been named Webb Drive after Pte Webb.

If I may be of any further assistance wrt the Regiment pls send me an email.

Regards,

Ken

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,
Thank you for your input, I hope you have been able to trace your ancestor easier than I have been able thus far with Pte Webb.
I will try the PROV again and include the number you have quoted, never know.   Even if he turns out not to be a distant relative I would still like to be able to add some additional details to the records held at Ballarat re him.  and if he is it would be a real delight to be able to place him in his rightful place in history.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline marcmanders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
To Abygale.

This is probably no connection to your Webb Name... but in my family tree I have 3 x Webbs from Hertfordshire area that are connected through a marriage into the family, they are older than your 19 year old solder man they could be great gran parents?
Father James Webb of Watford born around 1700s
Mother Sarah of Watford born around 1700s
Daughter Mary Webb of Watford 1728 - 1808 , she married William perry of Rickmansworth 1759

Now I haven't checked to see if James & Sarah Webb above had other children, they probably did, if they had boys the Webb name would carry on , plus if they stayed in the area.

this may or may not help?

marc e
mander manders fossett perry baily gallaher holden johnson law jones Johnson Robinson trett

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
It is an area that is worthy of exploring, I have found from practical experience one needs to check out any possibility re family history as we never know where it may lead us.   If you like have a look at my post for Josiah Webb and Esther Whitney of Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire to see if any of their information gels with what you already know re your Hertfordshire line.  Will send you a PM as well.
Aby
  Abygail