Author Topic: Horse drawn Coach Travel in Invernesshire (and Argyl)  (Read 9663 times)

Offline MECRAW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horse drawn Coach Travel in Invernesshire (and Argyl)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 July 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
Are you still interested in information on this topic. I have a small piece of information on Hugh MacDonald.

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
We are still very interested in all horse coach information especially as it is the anniversary of the last Stage/Mail coach drive in Britain next year.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 December 14 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Information had already been posted
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 March 16 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Are you still interested in information on this topic. I have a small piece of information on Hugh MacDonald.
Hi,
I was just reviewing my rootschat account and I found this, which I missed before. I am still interested in all aspects of Mail and Stage Coach Travel, especially that relating to Hugh MacDonald.
Regards
macw

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 March 16 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Refering back to the first post, noticed an occupation on a Census I looked at earlier today that was for a female (if I remember correctly) 'post runner' from a Laggan 1911 Census.  Will post the details when I get onto the PC as cant do it from this ipad.  Its the first time I'd ever seen that occupation.  :-)
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 March 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in finding out more about the Mail and Stage coaches that ran between Fort William and Arisaig, Fort William and Kingussie and Fort William and Glasgow (via Loch Lomond Steamer).
I am also interested in the affect the Highland and the West Highland Railways had on Coach travel.
I have been in touch with the Museum in Newtownmore (it was in Kingussie) and had a look through the West Highland Museum in Carnoch. I need to get some time to visit the museums in Fort William and to get down to Mount Pleasant in London to see if I can find any Post Office records.
I am especially interested in contacting descendants of Coach Drivers and Owners and Post Runners. My GG Grandfather was a Coach Driver from Fort William to Glasgow and then started his own business from Fort William to Arisaig and Fort William to Kingussie as far as we can see. He was known variously as Hugh MacDonald, Hugh McDonald, Ewen Post, Ewen MacRaiold,  Eoghan MacRaiold and apparently "Duke" and lived from about 1822 or 1830 until December 1906, Being buried on Isla Munde in Glencoe (from whence he came) on a wild day on the 2nd January 1907. He built Buccleuch Villa which has a coach house (now converted) at the back. He used to operate out of Frasier Square and from the Pier.

Might be worth looking thru the Newspaper section of this website, you might find something of interest....   http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/pages/ambaile.html
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 March 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you it is a very good web site I need to check through it again for more material.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 March 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
You mention the various museums, have you had a look in the Highland Archive in Inverness and perhaps Lochaber Archive?

Also the newspaper archives, various libraries give online access to the various archives run by newspapers to their members and there is the British Newspaper Archive - a lot of UK newspaper reports were repeated in the Australian and NZ newspapers and the Australian and NZ archives are bother available free online.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera